Aldora Divers review May27th - June 1st 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lsufootballfan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Some of you may remember the review that I posted on Eagle Ray Divers last year. Without going into details, my wife and I had a horrible experience with them. During this experience, we had the pleasure of stumbling into the dive shop of Aldora Divers. We were greeted by a very professional staff that offered us help even though we had already booked a dive with a competitor. (See Eagle Ray Divers review for further information)

This year we decided to spend a week on the island and booked our diving with Aldora divers. (Thanks Dave)

In the before mentioned review, I received criticism for expecting too much from a dive operation in Mexico. I was told several times that the standards in Mexico were not the same as the standards in the U.S. and that we were expecting too much.

Well let me start this review by saying that Aldora Divers not only met all of our expectations but exceeded them in every aspect. They were professional, courteous, and safe. They went out of their way to make our dive trip the best it could possibly be. Every person from Aldora Divers met or exceeded our expectations.

We arrived at the Cozumel Airport at 1:30pm. Took a cab to Aldora Dive shop and dropped off our equipment. The next morning, when the boat picked us up, our equipment was hooked up and ready to go. After all of our dives, our equipment was taken back to the dive shop, rinsed and stored. Each morning of our trip, our equipment was on the boat, hooked up and ready to go. What a joy it was not to have to worry about cleaning, storing and lugging all of our equipment around with us the whole trip. Aldora took care of everything, all we had to do was show up and dive.

With the exception of one day, all of our surface intervals were on the beach of Mr. Sanchos. When we came back to the boat, we found that the captain had hung up all of our wet clothes, allowing them to dry while we ate lunch. What a nice and unexpected extra. One trip, we went to "Hollywood or Sky" and got to snorkel and see all of the wonderful starfish. This was a neat experience.

Days 1, 2 and 3 we had the pleasure of diving with Juan. My wife, being a newly certified diver, is still very cautious and can have a little anxiety on her first couple of dives. She needed someone with patience to help her through and calm her nerves a little. Juan was the perfect fit for her. After the last experience in Cozumel, she was a little reluctant and nervous to get into the water. Jaun is a very patient man and after a very short time had my wife’s nerves settled and ready to enjoy our dives. Jaun was the perfect dive master for my wife and provided her with 3 days of memorable diving. Thanks Juan!!

Day 3 night dive....This dive was lead by PePe. Very professional, very informative, and provided us with a great dive. Thanks PePe!!

Day 4...My wife stayed on the beach and I had the pleasure of diving with Julio. Julio is probably the best technical diver that I have ever seen. I was amazed at his flawless skills underwater and his attention to detail. Julio pointed out things to the group that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. He was able to provide a dive that I will never forget. Thanks Julio!!

Day 5... Our dive was lead by Ally. Yet another great dive master and another great dive. After talking with Ally on our surface interval, I learned that she was one of the original people that helped us last year when we stumbled upon the dive shop. She remembered that day and remembered helping us. Thanks Ally!!

Diving with the 120 steel tanks was awesome. One of the dives (Columbia Shallow) was 91 minutes. WOW!! Never thought a dive could last that long. The shortest dive we had was 52 minutes with a max depth of 87 fsw. The large tanks are great for long bottom times

Our experience with Aldora Divers topped any experience that we have ever had with any dive shop. Including those located in the U.S. Their top notch service and professionalism has earned our business every time we return to Cozumel.

If you are looking for the best dive operation on the island, look no further than Aldora Divers.

Lsufootballfan:

Thanks for the post. My family is heading to Cozumel for second time soon. On our first trip, we did not use Aldora but I was happy with the dive shop we used. Therefore this time, I am debating if I should use the same dive shop again or try Aldora.

My biggest concern is my wife only has under 50 dives and I am not sure if Aldora's is going to be a suitable dive shop for her. But after reading your post, I am pretty sure I will give Aldora a try.

If you don't mind, can you answer couple of my questions:

1. Is your wife fine with the steel 100 tank Aldora uses? In comparison with aluminum 80, did she say anything about the tank weight?

2. How many people are on the dive boat for each trip? Do you do a giant stride or back flip from boat?

Thank you.

Nice write up, congrats on your wife's cert and I'm glad your trip was much better this time! I can't wait to do a few dives with them in a couple weeks!!

My biggest concern is my wife only has under 50 dives and I am not sure if Aldora's is going to be a suitable dive shop for her. But after reading your post, I am pretty sure I will give Aldora a try.

Aldora gets plenty of new divers and those with a small number of dives. I hear references that Aldora is only for highly experienced divers yet I do not see that in practice. Since they have multiple boats, they can group people according to ability. Plus many dives sites are equally great regardless of your dive level.

Lsufootballfan:

Thanks for the post. My family is heading to Cozumel for second time soon. On our first trip, we did not use Aldora but I was happy with the dive shop we used. Therefore this time, I am debating if I should use the same dive shop again or try Aldora.

If you don't mind, can you answer couple of my questions:

1. Is your wife fine with the steel 100 tank Aldora uses? In comparison with aluminum 80, did she say anything about the tank weight?

2. How many people are on the dive boat for each trip? Do you do a giant stride or back flip from boat?

Thank you.
they have large and small tanks. it would be her choice.
they have one large boat where you can giant stride if you prefer. the other 5 boats are all set up for back flip.
maximum 6 people per boat except for big boat. never more than 6 people per dm. often less.

Back flop is sooooo much easier than giant stride I think.......

they have large and small tanks. it would be her choice.
they have one large boat where you can giant stride if you prefer. the other 5 boats are all set up for back flip.
maximum 6 people per boat except for big boat. never more than 6 people per dm. often less.

Thank you, Vlkr. I will try Aldora this time. Really can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom