Alarming and Dangerous Incident please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm, red, that's an intriguing idea...

i'm sure i've been narced, but i've never felt it. (ok, i used to drink a lot 'bp' - 'before pregnancy' - so maybe i was just accustomed to the sensation... :wink: ) even on the aow 'we'll prove you're narced at depth' thing, i didn't think i was. *but* that might would do it, and having it happen when someone is trying to make it happen & is looking out for you would be interesting & might prove the point.

No, no, no...!! (emphasis mine)
In my statement here from an earlier post I am suggesting a CO2 build up in addition to the valve as a cause for his lacking of a breathable volume of air at depth.

Excerpting from Post #1...
Peter84:
I was getting all the volume I demanded of my regulator (Scubapro S600) yet felt like it was not oxygen. Confused I swam....

Peter
There may have been a CO2 consideration, but not a lack of gas presenting.

I, too, would like to know why you went back down, and why the buddies did not ascend with you - especially as you were under stress...??

I don't know about the narcosis part at 75 ft but I would certainly think dispnea due to overwork and probably incorrect breathing.

I've seen it lots of times so, at least around here, in the land of heavy exposure suits, lots of lead and deepish dives with poor technique, I'd have to call it common.

The thing to do is to be still and breath slow and deep until the feeling of breathlessness goes away. Don't leave your buddies and I'd sure hope that they wouldn't leave you.

I've had a similar experience, twice, but not to the point you describe. I did call a dive once at 60' and felt better when I got to 30'.

Do you know what the problem was?

My regs were 'de-tuned' for the surface, and I hadn't adjusted them. So at depth they got slightly harder to breathe, so slight that I didn't really notice. Even though I could still breathe just fine with them, it was taking a little bit more effort. Not enough to really consciously notice, but enough to add stress and I didn't know where it was coming from.

The first dive this happened, things got better at about 35' or so and I signaled a hold on the ascent, and as my buddies (team of 3) stood by I figured out the problem and adjusted the regs, after which we continued the dive with no further problems.

It happened again about 6 months later, but this time I was at depth just thinking about calling the dive when it occurred to me what the problem was. Funny thing was that the effect was so subtle. It's not like I fixed the problem and was immediately "ahh, fresh air!" ok. I still had to just breathe slowly for a few minutes while the stress level slowly dropped.

Is this a possibility with you? As I said, I wasn't straining to get a breath...it was a very subtle effect I hadn't noticed at all except for the stress level.

Ray

I think we have exhausted the potential reasons for the dive going wrong.

Regardless of the physical reason be it getting narced, or a C02 hit, the end result was panic, an unsafe ascent, an unsafe decent, and some buddy issues.

IMO lesson's learned are, STOP, THINK, ACT. Don't go blowing to the surface in a panic when you have two divers with air nearby.

Try and get breathing under control. It seems unlikely this was a reg issue given that he was getting good flow. IMO it was panic induced by a breathing issue that was likely purely mental.

Review the plan, communication, and profile with your buddies to make sure they are on board. Diving seems easy, casual, and relaxing on the surface. In fact one is in a world they can not live long in, and at depth, even 75' if things go wrong everyone needs to be aware, and attentive to their buddies.

While all is well that ends well, there is no guarantee this won't happen again. Panic attacks for whatever reason are a leading cause of diver death, so they should not be taken lightly.

I personally think he was poking fun at all you BP/W people. BUT, I could be wrong.

jepuskar:
Peter,

What kind of BC did you have on? I find that unless I dive a stainless steel backplate and a 36lb Wing I will most certainly be narced at 10 feet or below.

J

GDI:

jepuskar:
Originally Posted by jepuskar
Peter,

What kind of BC did you have on? I find that unless I dive a stainless steel backplate and a 36lb Wing I will most certainly be narced at 10 feet or below.

J

Naw, it should be an aluminum bp with double 100's. You'd generate way too much co2 with that steel bp....why you would be over weighted

:popcorn:

loosebits:
O2 is generally considered as narcotic as N2.

Can anybody verify this with references? I have been looking, and everything I have found, other than a study by Dr. Bill Hamilton, refutes the quote. Based upon my reading, I suspect the claim that oxygen is as narcotic as nitrogen is most likely false.

Really?

Have you looked at the formula for E.N.D.?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom