Alarming and Dangerous Incident please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilless:
If Peter really had 36% mix then his EAD would be 55 feet.

Do you really think you could have been narced?

Also I reread the post and saw he had little current..

very interesting.

Perrone had a nice point, I would certainly have a chat with my buddies for not taking any kind of supportive action

Yes, he was at 75 ft. Nitrox is as narcotic as air, so EAD is irrelevent. Narcosis is measurable at 30 ft.

There's no way you had a shortage of O2.

At 75 ft, (3.5 ATA) you would have had plenty of oxygen even if the O2 content in your cylinder was as low as 10% - which would not have been enough to sustain life at the surface.

You were narced and panicked. Possibly from breathing hard and retaining CO2 which is much more narcotic than N2. I suggest getting more diving practice at slightly increasing depths, not just jumping into deepish water.

CO2 buildup can enhance the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis--double whammy.
Ber :lilbunny:

Sounds like CO2 retention to me. It can precipitate a dark narc which makes it harder to slow down the breathing and that contributes to more narcosis. If you feel yourself not getting enough oxygen again, make an effort to stop, be as still as possible, and focus on taking deep, slow breaths and exhaling all of the air out of your lungs. It is a shallow, panting type breathing that starts this process, and once it starts, it is very hard to stop.

Glad to read that you are ok. :)

Well, I am certainly in deep appreciation to all for the replys. To answer most questions: This my 118 dive, I am 42 in shape- I run 3 miles almost every day, full head of hair, just kidding but true! I did analyze the mix at the shop and was accordingly, certification is advanced plus with Nitrox, Diving for 5 years. Yes guess I have to admit to heavy Nitro Narcosis inspite of 10 minutes into the dive. I did do proper ascent and went down on the second dive to 40 ft. Thanks again to all,

peter

Peter84:
I was diving the Tracy in about 75 ft of water off the coast of Ft.Lauderdale, Florida. I had two diving buddies. When we reached the wreck, conditions were good, not great - 40 ft visibility, light current. I was on Nitrox at 36% which was checked at the shop. Upon reaching the wreck I began to expirience a shortness of what seemed oxygen in the mix. I was getting all the volume I demanded of my regulator (Scubapro S600) yet felt like it was not oxygen. Confused I swam towards one of my two buddies which turned into a dash due to the increase deficiency of oxygen. Despite the standard signals I gave him for difficult breathing all I got was a spaced out look from him. Oblivious to what was unfolding right in front of his eyes. At this point I pointed straight up with my hand and bolted up in a semi "controlled panic". I knew that something was deadly wrong, I knew I needed to breath and I needed to reach the surface. I also know that my chances for survival would be in my favor risking the bends or embolism to reach the surface. I was leterally sufficating. At about 30 ft from the surface immediately I started to feel like the oxygen was returned and quickly returned to normal. I went back dowm to find the two individuals diving with me to let them know I was OK and to do a proper gassing off ascent. It seems like I was sucking on nitrogen. Can the gasses separate or layer off in the tanks? I know for a fact that the shop owner does not roll tanks to get proper mix as did the previous owner. Any suggestions, recommendations are deeply appreciated.

Peter

What are the standard signals for difficult breathing?

75 ft. sounds too shallow to be narced (especially on EAN36), but then again, if there was sometihng wrong with the gas you should have have felt it again when you went back down.

Did you check your reg too for problems?

*Floater*:
What are the standard signals for difficult breathing?

There isn't one.

*Floater*:
75 ft. sounds too shallow to be narced (especially on EAN36), but then again, if there was sometihng wrong with the gas you should have have felt it again when you went back down.

Everyone is narced at 75 ft on EAN 36.

If the O2 was too low, it would have gotten worse as he ascended.

Is there a chance that you didn't have your tank valve opened all the way? If you just cracked it on the surface to read the pressure on your spg, and then did not open it completely before diving, you would experience difficulty breathing as you descended. This would appear to you like an out of air incident which would get better as you ascended. Also, you can notice this if you watch your spg when you breath and notice a pressure drop on each breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom