Alarming and Dangerous Incident please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
I've heard the same thing but, at least in my case, it's not so. I can deal with significant depth (in water and chamber) without much effect, but I'm a candy-*** when it comes to alcohol ... two drinks and I will not even try to drive.

How do you cope with depth plus hard exertion? I think I might be a bit of a CO2 retainer as I have a very low SAC. I don't get uncomfortably narced without fighting a current.

uspap:
So is Narcosis more like having a buzz or being fried? or does it just depend? For me 2 drinks doesn't do much. I do not drive after 2 drinks though. Not that I couldn't. It's not worth the risk.
I'm asking this because it sounds liked getting Narced can be severe. I want to know what to expect so I can identify it when it happens and avoid doing something stupid.
I have felt moderately more nervous past 100 feet before but not paranoid. Could that have been part Narcosis?

:cheers: Yes this could have been narcosis, it does all depend on the person. If you could picture yourself after drinking three martini's on an empty stomach and then trying to dance. That may be severe for some but doable for others

I think it would take more than 3 Martini's to get me to dance. Thanks. I have a better idea of it now. How does exertion contribute to a narc. Is it because you are breathing harder and as a result building up more Nitrogen? Would staying at depth and relaxing reverse the effect?

As I think about hypercapnia is a possibility, so might be an overly tight BC, wetsuit or drysuit that constricts the torso.

Thalassamania:
As I think about hypercapnia is a possibility, so might be an overly tight BC, wetsuit or drysuit that constricts the torso.

Not a tight wetsuit and I wear a harness. I find it hard to breathe slowly and exhale fully while kicking at max force. I tend to go into a sprinter's breathing pattern. I used to run 10K. I definitely feel the CO2.

TheRedHead:
Not a tight wetsuit and I wear a harness. I find it hard to breathe slowly and exhale fully while kicking at max force. I tend to go into a sprinter's breathing pattern. I used to run 10K. I definitely feel the CO2.
Not you Red, Peter.

A couple of drinks puts me out of it but I find that being narced is different. In the chamber dives I have done, I am more focused, almost to the point of tunnel vision. That is why I did the chamber dives, to see what happens under controlled conditions. I find that on the deeper dives, I lose track of details on the wreck. I dove the Barney @145 (160 to the sand) this year and was amazed when I looked at the video of all the details I remember seeing, but didn't recall until I saw the video.

OK guys, a few observations here:

Peter84:
Upon reaching the wreck I began to experience a shortness of what seemed oxygen in the mix. I was getting all the volume I demanded of my regulator (Scubapro S600) yet felt like it was not oxygen. At about 30 ft from the surface immediately I started to feel like the oxygen was returned and quickly returned to normal. I went back down to find the two individuals diving with me to let them know I was OK and to do a proper gassing off ascent.

First, note how quick his symptoms appeared. Second, notice how quickly they relieved. Third, notice that they did not re-occur when he descended again.

If I was presented with this type of patient, at his age, and with a history of sudden physical exertion, I'd have to consider atypical coronary artery spasm, pulmonary artery spasm, pulmonary blood clots generally, pulmonary embolism or other cardiac issues. Although all of the "complex" explanations of narcosis, HVS and other stuff is plausible, I don't think any of them fully explain what occurred. Key point here is that his symptoms did NOT re-occur when he descended again.

I'd suggest that the original poster contact his physician, explain the situation and request a cardiac work-up, evaluation and stress test. If those come back clear, then we can debate narcosis, HVS and other more exotic stuff..

Rule out the worst-case stuff FIRST...

Just my thoughts...

Peter84:
I was diving the Tracy in about 75 ft of water off the coast of Ft.Lauderdale, Florida. I had two diving buddies. When we reached the wreck, conditions were good, not great - 40 ft visibility, light current. I was on Nitrox at 36% which was checked at the shop. Upon reaching the wreck I began to expirience a shortness of what seemed oxygen in the mix. I was getting all the volume I demanded of my regulator (Scubapro S600) yet felt like it was not oxygen. Confused I swam towards one of my two buddies which turned into a dash due to the increase deficiency of oxygen. Despite the standard signals I gave him for difficult breathing all I got was a spaced out look from him. Oblivious to what was unfolding right in front of his eyes. At this point I pointed straight up with my hand and bolted up in a semi "controlled panic". I knew that something was deadly wrong, I knew I needed to breath and I needed to reach the surface. I also know that my chances for survival would be in my favor risking the bends or embolism to reach the surface. I was leterally sufficating. At about 30 ft from the surface immediately I started to feel like the oxygen was returned and quickly returned to normal. I went back dowm to find the two individuals diving with me to let them know I was OK and to do a proper gassing off ascent. It seems like I was sucking on nitrogen. Can the gasses separate or layer off in the tanks? I know for a fact that the shop owner does not roll tanks to get proper mix as did the previous owner. Any suggestions, recommendations are deeply appreciated.

Peter

I've seen this before. Just judging from your story I'd say you were hyperventilating....question is why....?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom