Alabama lake diving? Wedowee, Smith, Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See you there >>> 7:30 at the pines

I think Rick is perpairing a dive report with a group pic. We did 2 fantastic dives in the rain, wich turned out to be a good thing, it kept the boats off the water and made for great vis...about 15 to 20 ft. I havent logged my dives so I am not sure of exact temp. but I think it was in the 72 to 74 range. Our first dive was for 67 min. at about 38 ft or so. We made a heading of 55 deg. heading for the ghost fleet ( a group of 5 very old wooden boats ) . After checking out the boats we headed for the bridge rubble, we checked out the south side of the rubble all the way to the huge pillar, just before it dropps off into the old river bed , we then turned and made our way back down the North side of the rubble to end our first dive. We chatted with old and new friends and had a bite to eat during our SI. A few folks had to leave ( i'm bad with names) So Rick, Wes, Fishfood, and I dove a second time with pretty much the same dive plan, the ghost fleet and the rubble, we were low on air so our second dive was shorter, about 40 min or so with about the same depth. On our way back across the rubble we ran across a plate sized red ear slider just hanging out on the bottom, we watched for a min. and headed for shore. After our second dive we took a group pic with Moonie and enjoyed a Blackened Grouger sandwich and Key lime pie at Sinclair's.

The weather was a bit rainy, which was good, as it kept the Memorial Day weekend boat traffic down... water temp 71F with no thermocline down to our max depth of 34 FFW.
Dive 1 - Angela & Jarred, Fish Food & his dad, AUCade & Wes, with me & Moonie manning the flag. In the water at 0748 for 1HR 8 Minutes; we eased out to the easternmost two boats in the "ghost fleet," then southeast over to the bridge rubble and followed that out to our turnaround point (first diver to hit 1500 psi in his 80), right about the first major dynamited break in the roadbed. Along the way I spotted a good sized grass carp, probably 30 pounds or so, several nice largemouth & a few small bream. Vis was quite good for Lake Martin at about 15 feet. We cruised back in at a leasurely pace looking for treasures. Angela found a perfect 1945 Pepsi bottle, and another early 60's Pepsi bottle to give to her friend Cary (my daughter the diet pepsi addict) who couldn't dive as she'd just had some oral surgery. I found a nice dive knife that looked like it'd been there at least a couple of years.
Dive 2 - Fish Food, AUCade & Wes, with me & Moonie bringing up the rear. 48 minutes on essentially the same route, just enjoying being under water. We did head a little further west & found two more "ghost fleet" boats.
All in all two very pleasant dives with great company.
There are a couple of pictures here.
Rick

The last 2 weekends I've planned on diving out of Gulf Shores and both times got blown-out. I live in Georgia, an hour and a half from Auburn (WAR EAGLE!). I'm looking for a place to dive fairly often (as often as I'm able) and just ran across your dive reports of Lake Martin. Used to stay there at a professor's place fairly often when I was at Auburn. Do you all dive there often? I would be interested in joining you all on a dive in the near future.

Sincerely,
Dry and frustrated

Well, Keep an eye on this thread ...we will be diving the lake often ....and you are more than welcome to join.

Would any of you who're familiar with Lake Martin be interested in diving Saturday, June 6th? After that it'll be July before I'll have another chance. Hopefully I'll get a bite:)

I might be up for it ...I will let you know

Would any of you who're familiar with Lake Martin be interested in diving Saturday, June 6th? After that it'll be July before I'll have another chance. Hopefully I'll get a bite:)
Wish I could but will be at Vortex with classes.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom