Alabama Gulf State Pier & Whiskey Wreck 9-3-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alabama Gulf State Pier

Patrick D and I headed to the Gulf State Pier around 9AM on Saturday morning. The Gulf was glassy without a bit of surf, looked clear from the surface too. We parked at the end of whats left of the road in front of the destroyed condos, geared up, and made the short walk to the water. It seemed a bit cooler, maybe its dropped a few degrees in temp? No real threat from jellyfish, I don't remember seeing any that still had tentacles. It seems the remaining jellies have been mostly torn apart by fish...and there were lots of fish! Visibility was around 15-20'. There were actually a ton of mullet, lookdowns, mangroves, bluefish, and scad schooling the wreck. Tropicals flitted around the pylons and stingrays scattered the bottom. It was a great dive that lasted a bit over an hour with a max depth of 13'. When we got back to the truck, a little golf cart with police lights, manned by two State Park ranger types, was waiting on us. They ran my tag and gave us a stern warning about trespassing before running us off - guess I'll have to take the boat out to the pier from now on - won't be nearly as often :(

Pylon3.jpg

Pylon4.jpg

Lookdowns2.jpg

Ray.jpg

ElectricSkate2.jpg

ElectricSkate.jpg

Sunburst.jpg

Mullet2.jpg

Pier.jpg

Whiskey Wreck

Forty minutes later we were back in the water heading to the Whiskey Wreck. Visibility was 5-15' and jellyfish were, again, not a problem. Lots of mangroves, spades, shad, and pinfish schooled the wreck as pigfish and tropicals darted in and out of any crevice they could find. We saw a couple of flounder and a few southern rays in the sand. There is still seaweed 'pooled' up in the interior of the wreck. I hit a max depth of 17' for a dive lasting nearly an hour and a half. Stopped at hooters before heading home to pack up for a camping trip.

Misc...

Ordered a handheld GPS and bottomfinder for my boat. Hopefully it'll be here by this weekend. I took the Miss Jellyfish for a little camping trip this weekend, motor ran fine, but I damaged one of the threaded transom clamps on the hour and a half ride out to our campsite in a very choppy Perdido Bay. If I can get that fixed and my new toys come in, I may be trying to take the Miss Jellyfish a bit offshore this weekend to dive some of the closer inshore sites :D

I've been lurkin your posts for the better part of a month. I'm renting a house on the beach roughly a mile west of the whiskey. If you are goin out i'd love to tag along. I'm about as new to scuba as you can get but i'm very comfortable in the water. I'm bringing all of my gear and a pole spear. Maybe I can stab somthing grillable. My schedule is open all week except for the fact that I have 2 kids in diapers. Most likely I can be found puttering around in the water in front of the beach house. I'll definately hit the whiskey a few times. I'll be there from Tuesday 9-5-06 to Sunday 9-10-06. Any advice or suggestions from you Alabama beach gurus will be greatly appreciated. Great pics, I'm used to some very low vis water....Alabama looks like the Bahamas to me.

If you do go out I'll give you my number so if you have any trouble I'll come out and pull you in. Just let me know ahead of time and I'll pull my boat down on the Island with me

After another quick look I seen the mullet nice very nice :)

I work during the day, but can usually be at the beach by 6PM for a dive. I'm out of town Wed night, but I'm available for a dive tomorrow and thursday.

I'll be settling in tomorrow but Thursday is a possibility. Is a suit neccessary? I can pick up a .5 mil tomorrow on the way out.

I'm trying to personalize my profile but I can't get the page to load. Is it me??

1/2mm is plenty as temperture isn't a problem at the moment. We're getting jellyfish here and there, which is why you'll want some form of protection.

Thanks for the report. Great photos. I especially like the pic of the electric ray.

Looks like you got a large variety of critters to look at. Nice pics.

Man, I WILL be there a few weeks or so after Oct16th. My Fiance` (wife after Oct 14th) and I will be just getting back from Niagra Falls and Toronto Canada. I'm DEFINITELY coming down if I have to sleep in my car or somewhere. I've been wanting to go dive SOOO bad here lately.

Time to save up and get Red Bull money and Hooters money too!

Until after I'm married, please dive some more for me!!!!!

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom