AL80 Worth the trouble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Had the chance to get an AL80 for a great price. (Brand new for under $100)

Is it worth getting AL? I'm diving a BP&W so I was looking for Steel but at such a great price I'm thinking I can't pass it up.

Depends on the diving you do.

I switched from a C80 (compact 80) aluminum to HP100 steels long ago... The steel was, of course, more expensive, however, the buoyancy characteristics are better, it's actually slightly lighter topside, a couple of inches shorter, same diameter, longer life, and of course I get 23cu.ft. more air (which comes in very handy, if you're diving singles).

Depends on the money situation. I originally purchased Al80's when I was in school for my wife and I because they were affordable. 5 years later, I bought an HP100 and never use the Al80. About 4lbs of extra weight on my belt is needed when using an Al80 versus HP100 due to the buoyance empty weight.

It's a good deal, get it. At that price, check the dates on the tanks to make sure there's nothing 'weird' going on.

An AL 80 is easy to trim out and it's what most dive ops use. It's hard to go wrong with that choice.

I'd have to say at that price it's junk. Pass it up. To be sure you don't get to tempted though send me the name and addy of the seller. I'll do you the favor of takin it out of your options.

If you don't mind the extra weight of the cylinder and requisite lead then it's all good air.

Brand new under 100 makes no sense unless the seller is a fool. Do you mean previously owned but never used? If so what are the dates and other stampings?

Last edited:
I'd have to say at that price it's junk. Pass it up. To be sure you don't get to tempted though send me the name and addy of the seller. I'll do you the favor of takin it out of your options.

You sir are one of the most altruistic people in the world. Thanks for being you :rofl3:

Had the chance to get an AL80 for a great price. (Brand new for under $100)

Is it worth getting AL? I'm diving a BP&W so I was looking for Steel but at such a great price I'm thinking I can't pass it up.

There's a strong tech diving presence in Northern California. If the tanks are Luxfer, by all means, buy them. You'll easily be able to sell them if needed. If you eventually go to tech diving, you'll already have your "stage bottles."

If they're Catalina, you could still use them, but the tech divers generally won't want them (because they're "butt heavy"), so that will reduce the market if you ever want to sell them.

If you're just going to dive them, there's nothing wrong with them, other than having to add a little lead to the belt. They also come in handy if your out of state relatives want to go diving with you. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom