AL80 Price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My local dive shop wants $200 for an AL80 with what I think is called a "Pro Valve". A yoke valve that has a plug in it to convert it to a DIN valve. With tax it would come out to about 218 a tank. Is that a good price for this tank. I'll let you know now I am not intrested in a steel tank, I want an AL80.

It's about the going rate for new AL80s in a typical LDS. You see them for $150 new at some of the online places, but then you have shipping, VIP, so it's kind of a wash. Personally I would look for used tanks, there are plenty of them around for $100 or less. If you buy an AL80, get one that was made in the nineties or more recently. While there are lots of late 80s and earlier AL tanks that are perfectly safe, the hysteria over the necks cracks will effectively make it difficult to get an AL tank that old filled.

If you're in San Antonio, I think there's a hydro facility that has a couple for sale. (with current hydro, of course) You can PM me for details.

I think I've seen them for lke $140-150. That includes the VIP, shi[[ing, and free 1st fill. I jsut recently bought a new AL 40 and it cost $10 to add a pro valve I think. I would guess it's the same mark up on AL 80's. This is for Catalina tanks

I agree on buying used. I just purchased the two Luxfers shown in the thread below (Luxfer S80 vs. SO80) for $100 total off Craigslist. One is in hydro/vis (barely), the other is just out. After having them both hyrdo'd and vis'd again, I'll have approximately $180 in the two tanks. I figure if I ever want to get rid of them, I won't be out too much $$, as I should be able to sell them for about what I paid for them. The only negative is that they don't have convertible valves, so if I ever go DIN I'll need to replace them.

Buy used, but don't buy just anything. Just be wary of the original hydro date. If it's already through its first hydro then I wouldn't pay more than half the cost of a new tank. I recently picked up two beautiful used Luxfer AL80's for $75 a piece on Craigslist. The tanks should be VIP'd before buying as well.

Looks like it would run $170 from Scubatoys (including tax, shipping, and Scubaboard 10% discount) but I doubt if it would be the Thermo convertible valve. That is a good valve but unnecessary unless you see din in your future. If you do not plan on din, it is just an extra o-ring and an opportunity for problems with the threaded insert.

The question then becomes how will your shop react to your purchasing a new tank elsewhere???? A used tank should beat that price and reduce any potential problems with your shop.

I'd go used as well. They last a very long time and many sell their Al tanks to go to steel. Just get one with current Hydro and as someone else mentioned don't pay more than half price.

Adam

Support your LDS!!! I purchased 2 AL80's on Black Friday from my LDS for $170 a piece and got my first 20 fills FREE. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom