AL80 @ 3500psi? Good or Bad? Or doesn't matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of the tank explosions have been of a certain vintage tank made from a les than ideal alloy which was prone to developing stress cracks. Some however have been the result of intentionally overfilling. At one time it was not uncommon in floridas cave country for divers to intentionally override the burst disk so it wouldn't blow and then fill the tank to 4000 and beyond. I don't know if this is still common as I haven't been in that area in almost 15 years, but I was once asked to fill a 72 (working pressure 2250) to 4000 and when I told the guy I couldn't he said "sure you can I put in a double burst disk" I politely asked him to remove his tank from my presence as I was uncomfortable with his disabled safeties.

Steel tanks (and probably aluminum tanks too) are routinely filled to 3600-3800 in cave country with no issue whatsoever. Note that I'm talking specifically about >72cf tanks--LP95s, 104s, exemption tanks, etc. The older 72, overfilling that much is probably a bad idea.

As you're already aware. Correct maximum cylinder capacity is measure by pressure@temp. So, the temp of the gas in your tanks can have a very measurable impact on the measured pressure.

It's perfectly normal to see a 200-300 psig decrease in pressure because of the cooling that takes place after the gas has been compressed by the filling of your tank. So, 3200-3300 psig fills are the norm for shops that don't what their clients complaing about only having 2700-2800 when they get to their dive. If a tank is being filled directly from a compressor the reduction in pressure from cooling can be greater.

If by chance, your tank was filled slowly and at a cool temperature, it is certainly possible that with warming you could see a couple hundred psi increase. I've seen tanks read 3000 in the shop, and after getting driven to the boat in the back of a car, placed in again in the direct sun on the back of the boat, when they where finally connected to a regulator they read 3500 psi.

However, I have become highly suspisious of spg's. They aren't particularly accurate to begin with, and live a very hard life of frequent salt water immersion. I've seen three different but otherwise trusted by their owners gauges read a total of 500 psi different on a full tank. I used to wonder why people would invest in a dedicated "tank checker" but now own one.

Bottom line. The highest risk of tank failure is at the time of fill. If you have a shop that gives good fills don't complain. If it let's you sleep easier, bleed your tanks to exactly where you wan't them.

Hope this helps,

I have both a SPG and wireless AIC and they both showed the high pressures.

I suppose next time I'll let them be... but I'll have my LDS assure me that there's a proper burst disk installed on both tanks :D

According to Luxfer, minimum burst pressure is 7500psi. I think you'll be ok. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom