AL tanks and diving wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Add this to the empty tank:
Rated CuFt / Rated PSI * 40​
The 40 comes from 500 psi / 12.4 cuft per lb air.

Or ballpark to within half a pound as Rated CuFt / 80. An AL80 is easy.

I think the last column in your chart is for an empty tank, not one with 500 psi in it.
Yes, the column title says empty, the footnote clearly states this is at 500 psi. The AL80 is +3.2 lbs, the HP steel 100 is -0.6 lbs, a 3.8 lb difference. My 4 lb change in weighting works well. Of course, there a lot of different cylinders than the ones in the Dive Gear Express table.

1661339376187.png
1661339397402.png

Yes, the column title says empty, the footnote clearly states this is at 500 psi. The AL80 is +3.2 lbs, the HP steel 100 is -0.6 lbs, a 3.8 lb difference. My 4 lb change in weighting works well. Of course, there a lot of different cylinders than the ones in the Dive Gear Express table.

View attachment 739568 View attachment 739569
Hmmm. I could not read the low resolution chart you posted, so I went to the DGX page that I linked. Apparenly you are showing some other page; the one I found was steel only. What is the link to your page?

Hmmm. I could not read the low resolution chart you posted, so I went to the DGX page that I linked. Apparenly you are showing some other page; the one I found was steel only. What is the link to your page?
Bottom of this page, that you get when you click on a specific steel cylinder. The chart is in very light grey, perhaps already low resolution, and does not copy/paste well. Faber F8-HP133 Cylinder w/Boot, Hot Dipped Galvanized

Odd sort of chart, since 500 psi means something quite different in cuft/liters for an AL80 vs an HP133.

I've been told, mostly on this board, that aluminum tanks are not really suitable for diving with a wetsuit, especially in colder water. My understanding is that this is because of the net positive buoyancy of an empty AL tank needing more lead to counteract. That makes sense up to a point, but is it really enough to not dive the most common tank on the market because I use a wetsuit? It seems like both a steel and AL tank will lose the same amount of weight as the air is released and from the tank data I have seen the difference is less than 5 lbs.
I dive almost every day using AL and steel tanks from swimming trunks to 3mm 7mm and drysuit and you just need to add a little more weight is all…

I've been told, mostly on this board, that aluminum tanks are not really suitable for diving with a wetsuit, especially in colder water.
As you have seen in the first 5 pages of this thread, there is a pretty strong consensus that there is no problem diving with aluminum tanks with a wetsuit. You just have to add weight when compared to steel.

What interests me is wondering where you heard it. You wrote that you got the information "mostly on this board." I have been a member of ScubaBoard for 18 years now, and I don't recall that idea being bandied about before. I am wondering if you may have misunderstood something.

A lot of people have a strong preference for steel tanks, but they have that preference whether diving with a wetsuit or a drysuit. I myself prefer steel tanks for the most part, but when I am diving on vacation in some tropical resort, I expect to use aluminum tanks and a wetsuit, and I don't give that a second thought.

A common misconception may possibly be in play here. When a tank loses 5 pounds of air during a dive, the diver (counting all the gear) will be 5 pounds more buoyant at the end of the dive. That is true regardless of the composition of the tank. Some people note that when an aluminum tank loses 5 pounds, it goes from negatively buoyant to positively buoyant. These people mistakenly think that makes a difference (the added weight takes care of that), and they will therefore advocate against aluminum.

Would it be possible to find some of the ScubaBoard posts that have led you to conclude that there is something wrong with diving with aluminum tanks when using a wetsuit?

As you have seen in the first 5 pages of this thread, there is a pretty strong consensus that there is no problem diving with aluminum tanks with a wetsuit. You just have to add weight when compared to steel.

What interests me is wondering where you heard it. You wrote that you got the information "mostly on this board." I have been a member of ScubaBoard for 18 years now, and I don't recall that idea being bandied about before. I am wondering if you may have misunderstood something.

A lot of people have a strong preference for steel tanks, but they have that preference whether diving with a wetsuit or a drysuit. I myself prefer steel tanks for the most part, but when I am diving on vacation in some tropical resort, I expect to use aluminum tanks and a wetsuit, and I don't give that a second thought.

A common misconception may possibly be in play here. When a tank loses 5 pounds of air during a dive, the diver (counting all the gear) will be 5 pounds more buoyant at the end of the dive. That is true regardless of the composition of the tank. Some people note that when an aluminum tank loses 5 pounds, it goes from negatively buoyant to positively buoyant. These people mistakenly think that makes a difference (the added weight takes care of that), and they will therefore advocate against aluminum.

Would it be possible to find some of the ScubaBoard posts that have led you to conclude that there is something wrong with diving with aluminum tanks when using a wetsuit?
I'm not going to name names because, as you say, I may have misinterpreted what was being said, but some quotes from threads I read or posted in at one point or another..

"It’s silly to dive AL80s in cold water due to all the lead you need."

"The defacto std steel cylinder is the HP100. Given you dive cold water I would recommend that as it will have better buoyancy characteristics over an Al80. By better meaning more negative thus requiring less weight on a belt (or wherever you put it)."

"For cold fresh water, steels are probably the way to go."

"aluminum is worse weight to capacity hence why steel is preferred. aluminum is popular for rental fleets because they are cheaper to buy in bulk and they tolerate corrosion/abuse better in tropical environments. the buoyancy difference does make aluminum 40/80 useful for deco/stage usage."

"Steel tanks provide more negative buoyancy than Aluminum. For example, you will need to add 5 lbs of lead to your weight belt to achieve the same buoyancy with an Al80 as you would get with a steel HP100.

"Steel also lasts at least twice as long as AL given even minimal care (i.e., rinse after saltwater dives, store somewhere dry, and keep at least a couple hundred psi in the tank so water can't get in)."

"The only real advantage of AL for single tank backmount is initial cost."

"In my experience, aluminium tanks are usually more common in warm places, where you dive in very thin suits and, therefore, you need less weight."

"AL80s are very nice in warm water with minimal exposure protection. In those instances steels can be a bit too negative. They also have better corrosion resistance to salt. If I always wore a thick wetsuit or a drysuit, the AL80s would never get used."

"I consider AL80s a very poor choice for cold water divers, especially people who own their tanks. I refuse to dive aluminums now unless they’re a deco or stage bottle."

"Not all diving is single tank diving. For a single tank in cold water, an AL80 is a horrible choice."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom