AL legend ACD not waterproof?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Luis. Sounds like a solution to a non-existent problem to me...

Greg Barlow

OK. Unfortunately, it sounds like the damage was done under your watch. :)

yeah im quite sure under my watch

so i guess i can officially say that the AL ACD is indeed NOT waterproof.

if this is true AL needs to get a better hold on the ads...cause i have seen and heard from a few people that basically the dust cap does not even need to be on the reg anymore.

too bad AL declined the invite to the manufacturers forum.
it would be informative to hear from the other AL ACD users what they think.

Sadly in the scuba manufacturing world the manufacturers have taken on the arrogance of the big three automakers in this country. It's " Buy this crap we make and like it " . Atomic being the exception. They really make a serious product.
It used to be you could walk into a dive shop and quality hit you right in the face.
Now you walk in and it's wall to wall crap from China. Things are very tuff in the dive industry and also for the buying public. Since China in the past couple of years have geared up for mass producing of things a little higher tech than fireworks and chinese finger handcuffs we are being flooded with there idea of "good gear". The merchants sell it because the consumer is stretched on dollars as well and settle for this poor quality crap.
It's not the same stuff you could buy from back in the 70's and 80's. There is quality out there you just have to do your homework. Be prepared to pay for it and maintain it.
The ACD was basically designed for idiots that don't have the sense to cover a reg when removing it from a cylinder. So they made an ACD. Now we have to make a bigger idiot. Imagine what those divers are like in the water.

I have 6 sets of Legend ACDs that see ocean water 4-5 times a week and get soaked in a concrete tub every afternoon. I usually put the little black caps that came with the 1st stages back on the threaded portion (all 6 are DIN) but not always. I have never had a flood.

How can a rarely used regulator be that bad?

Personally, I have a Legend LX ACD and it have been wonderful. I never soaked mine though and have been rinsing it with fresh water after a dive. Yes, it has the ACD but that has not made me to lower my guard and treat it as invincible. That dust cap is still on last time I checked. So far I never have a problem with it and it performed very, very well. Definitely money well spent. I don't regret letting go of my cash for this.

This may be a red herring but water does get inside the valve of tanks, and often when I first turn the valve on a spray of water first shoots out before I get dry air.

Adam

If all they had to replace was the HP seat and diaphragm, that's not an indication of damage, just normal wear. If there was significant corrosion in the 1st stage it would be on the metal parts; maybe the orifice edge and balance chamber first, then the walls of the nozzle. That would be severe damage. It doesn't surprise me that water could get past the ACD, so now you know. How much trouble is it to replace the dust cap anyway?

Fresh water from the rinse tank (assuming it was clean) is not that big a deal; salt water in the first stage HP chamber would be much more damaging. If you forget again some day and get a little fresh water in the first stage, try removing all the hoses, then put in the LP plugs so that only the HP ports are open, put the reg on a tank, and blow the water out with dry scuba air. Then replace the HP port plugs, remove the LP plugs, and do it again.

Back
Top Bottom