Al Hornsby Resigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken,
You know I have chosen to remain quiet on this board as I do not see it as an asset to my everyday business, as do many of the other dive shops in the Baltimore/Maryland area . It is a forum that is better used, in my opinion, to discuss the many topics related to diving on a diver level, not on a business level. I feel business should be discussed in a business forum.
Quiet frankly, every time I see a topic on LDS ripping people off I turn to another topic, chuckle an continue with my day. As an owner of a LDS for over 19 years what I do know is that we have expenses, employees, insurance, rent, and a whole lot of everyday monetary commitments that must be paid each month. So if making profit is ripping people off then they need to look at any business plan of any industry and tell me they are not built on profit.
What I do ask Ken, is you please speak for youself and not implicate that all Dive Shops in Baltimore are going out of business, as Divers Den just celebrated 51 years in business and we have weathered alot of economic, finanical and industry changes.
We have carried an above adaquete inventory and have retained manufactures on their committment to us and us to them. When times are tuff we get help from them.
Our student base is supportative and a long time ago I realized we will never be able to plaese everyone, nor am I going to try! There just becomes a time when as a business owner you make a decision as wheter to walk away from a problem or do your best to handle it. I think our reputation speaks for itself!
As far as independent instructors we work with alot of them, many have later became store instructors, others have chosen to just work with us. They bring to the table what they can and when all their friends are certified if they still produce students they are still welcome, however I will add we do not just open our doors to all independents, as we have a reputation to uphold too.
As I ask ealier Ken, I would appreciate that when you discuss LDS in Baltimore that you speak for the one you own and operate and stop implicating mine!

Divers Den
8105 Harford Rd
Baltimore, MD 21234
410-668-6866
Divers Den, Maryland's First Dive Store, Scuba Diving Classes and Equipment

I had stated that I would not post anymore... however I'll make exceptions when a post is so directed toward me personally.

I challenge Chaz or anyone else to find a post directed specifically at their shop in the Baltimore area. I think it is Chaz's own conscience talking to him and I must say for him to feel that any post I make is directed at him is himself thinking he sits on a thrown he has held for only a few of those 50+ years of Divers Dens history.

For the record, I like Chaz, respect Chaz in the industry, always have and for years before opening my shop did most of my business with him - despite always having to pay more for something than I really had too. I did this because I liked him, his employees, his trips etc... I have never uttered a bad word about Chaz or his shop. I'd say safely that my wife and I - between trips, equipment purchases and airfills spent more than $20,000 in his shop over the years.

To this day... when someone is specifically looking for something I know Chaz carries - I send them there... even give them the address, directions and phone number. I wonder if he can say he does the same for me?

It is because I like Chaz that I responded to him via a private message first - to whic h I've received no response. Because of this, I thought I'd make it public that Chaz is a good man... and I wish we could work closer together to make diving in Baltimore better.

For some reason however, Chaz - like many others in the area see us as the enemy. Why? Because we are changing diving for the better? Lowering prices for consumers, operating on a better business plan (like the internet guys,) higher volume, lower margin? If you want to hate me for being a smart businessman... there is nothing I can do.

If however you want to work with me to move diving into the future... join me, or at least the movement of the Unified Dive Industry... in going forward. Change is needed. The same old -same old you represent is dying. It's not a matter of if it will die... it is when.

The old way used to work - mafia style protectionism (as you write - "When times are tuff we get help from them," no longer will. They are quite frankly in no position to help themselves - much less you.

Have you looked at the numbers DEMA provided on how far manufacturer shipments have plummeted from 2007 - 2008 to 2009? Thirty to forty percent decreases and guaranteed to be even worse in 2010.

The current economy will not turn around for three to five more years. Yes, you may have made it through 12 - 18 months economic slumps, but you have not seen the likes of this economy since your ownership began. In fact, noone has since Scuba began. We're in the 1920's and 1930's right now and nothing the government or anyone else can do is working to change that.

Without a history lesson, suffice it to say the Industrialization of America saved it from the great depression. There is nothing currently occuring in America that gives us hope of a turn-around. Government and Corporate Corruption are running rampant, most viable jobs and manufacturign have been shipped over-seas, two of the three major automakers are still likely to fail - even after bailouts, more banks are being seized everyday (at least 9 last week.) Citigroup is on the verge of failing... the list goes on.

I feel for you brother... and in an open forum, I invite you and the rest of the dive community to embrace the new direction. By working together... not as slaves to a defunct system, we can keep diving alive.

Noiw I'm done... unless someone else points at me directly.

Cheers Chaz - lets have a drink sometime.

I had stated that I would not post anymore...

So you're done posting on SB .... except for when you're not. Too rich! It's gotta be awesome to just make the rules up as you go.

Yesterday, on my flight back from Bermuda, I was able to order a Starbuck's Mocha Frapuccino for $3.00. I really love those things and it hit the spot during the late afternoon torture of air travel.

What does this have to do with diving? Keep reading.

Well, my addiction to iced coffee began in Keokuk, Iowa. How many people think of Keokuk, Iowa when they think of coffee? Keokuk certainly isn't Seattle, Paris, New York, Rome, or any other major center of the culinary world. I was introduced to Starbuck's ten years ago by a late farmer's daughter. At the time my girlfriend was a flight attendant for American Airlines and I was visiting her in Dallas, Texas when her father passed away. We drove to Iowa for the funeral. While there, my girlfriend's sister got me hooked on those diabetes in a bottle little coffee drinks. Since that time, I've spent a good bit of my hard earned income on them. I've purchased them from across the country supermarkets, convenient stores, Starbuck's coffee shops, and even at 35,000 feet above the Atlantic. They've been late night company on long drives to dive sites and a quick pick me up or reward after a long day teaching diving. I usually buy them at the local market and two gas station stores near my home, or from Starbuck's and Wegman's near my current girlfriend's apartment when at her place or teaching nearby at Dutch Springs. I've also tried and enjoy other iced coffee brands such as Monster Java. After landing in Philly, before my connection to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, I drank another iced coffee at Hudson News in Terminal F.

In all my years of coffee drinking, no one has overtly tried to control my coffee drinking and no one has ever tried to hassle me. I've walked into supermarkets holding a Starbuck's cup and no one was ever cross with me or made me feel guilty. Starbuck's and the vendors can thank an older sister from a small country town in Iowa for my enthusiasm and they have all shared in the profits from my wallet.

How many people actually learn to dive at resort areas that are famous for being for diving what Seattle is for coffee? How many divers have actually just thought of walking into a dive center to announce, "I want to be a scuba diver?" How many divers were turned onto the sport in places like Keokuk, Iowa because of friends, YMCA's, independent instructors posting business cards in local supermarkets, or just because they watched Sean Connery as James Bond in Thunderball for the 12th time, or saw a National Geographic episode of the Atocha treasure and watched a former midwestern farmer named Mel Fisher make his underwater dreams come true?

Why is it that dive centers want to control me as both a diver and an instructor? The biggest problem in diving is the idea of CONTROL. Control is what is damaging the industry. It's everywhere from the moment a diver gets hassled for not having the right letters on an OW C-card to the instructor who can't get hired without the right letters. It exists by way of DEMA threatening to oust anyone who mentioned the word "Nitrox" in the last decade to agencies telling you exactly what equipment to wear for diving and that you can't dive alone. It exists when the local dive centers want to control instructors as affiliates to wanting to control whether or not independent instructors should be allowed to operate. It hits you in the face when you board a boat for a shallow reef dive as a cave diving instructor with a twin DIR rig and get hassled for not having a snorkel or a dive computer and it hits you when you just want to be a recreational diver and blow some bubbles safely and the tech guys are telling you that you'll die without having regulator XYZ configured to their liking.

One time, in a Starbuck's near Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C., I actually got facial expression "attitude" from the barista for my hot coffee order which apparently didn't meet the standards of a true connoisseur. While, "one time" it happened at a coffee retailer, it is a constant companion when patroning the diving marketplace.

The diving industry needs divers. The industry doesn't need numbers provided by certification agencies, nor does it need bodies in wetsuits to fill boats, nor those bodies being recovered due to poor thinking or training. The industry needs serious divers and well-trained divers to actively be diving. "Active" should not be defined as the one dive trip a year diver. When divers dive in and around places like Keokuk, Iowa on a regular basis, they will need air or gas fills, put wear on tear on gear which will require service and replacement, and be inspired to take more educational courses and patron more businesses. Dive centers, resorts, charters, instructors, artisans, scuba forums, and online retailers all benefit from a "local" diver in a place like Kekouk. Iowa. Such a diver might buy 1 item online like a freediving mask he can't get at his local dive center for every 10 items purchased locally. Yet, chances are the local dive center that considers him to be their student or their diver will somehow show displeasure at such a minor purchase. The online retailers benefit because they have a world of divers buying that one in ten item that a diver can't get at his local shop, or they become the "local" shop for those not located close to any dive operators. Regulators purchased elsewhere are serviced locally and regulators purchased locally are sometimes shipped for service. Profit happens when a fair service fee is attached to quality work and positive customer service. Be nice about a regulator purchased elsewhere today and maybe sell a big item tomorrow or so many small items that they more than make up for the profit on the sale of a reg. A cold climate active diver will travel when his hands, head and feet get numb in winter and patron resorts in warm waters. He'll take advanced, specialty or technical classes with regional tech instructors all the way to places like Florida or Mexico for cave training - just to be a better diver. He might even fly a tech instructor from places like FL or CA to places like Keokuk for class. He may visit a trade show and buy artwork or purchase it online to decorate his home or office. While there, that diver might be logging into a forum such as ScubaBoard, learning, contributing, and being swayed by advertisers.

The heart and soul of diving is really a person like the agricultural sales rep from the midwest who loves to dive on weekends, holidays, and vacations. The guy or girl who introduces family and friends to the sport because of his or her enthusiasm. The guy or girl who brings pictures of diving adventures into the office and who dreams of being Mike Nelson or has diving heroes to admire and emulate, but is too responsible to give up a solid career that is paying the bills and feeding the family to run off to St. Somewhere and "live the dream." Because the dream isn't in St. Somewhere like the industry wants divers to believe. The dream is in that pond you've always wanted to know what old things might be lying in it, or the river near the farm, or that one little spot that a person wants to dive alone or share the adventure with a buddy or a group of buddies. The dream is taking that love for diving and turning others onto the sport. The dream is becoming a part-time or independent instructor and turning students into the buddies YOU want to have to share in the adventure. The dream is changing the life of a friend or co-worker and being able to dream of adventures and go live them in the here and now wherever you live and work.

I think DEMA and the industry have forgotten this. This is the true "be a diver" campaign and it had been working quite well until "marketing research" lost the ball in the curve of statistics.

As a 21 year-old college student and new scuba instructor, I once asked a former Navy UDT diver who was a security guard at my college why he ever returned to Scranton, Pennsylvania after having been stationed in places like Guam, Midway Island, Hawaii, San Diego, Italy and the like. He looked at me with the twinkle of wisdom and experience in his eye and replied, "Trace, I'm going to tell you something that I want you to remember. The grass is always greenest over the septic tank." It was one of the best lessons I learned from college because its wisdom has followed me through life when Socrates and Descartes have paled in comparison.

The campaign should be about being a diver wherever you are because every place has good diving - just different.

Last edited:
Trace, oh so true. Although I doubt it, just maybe this will be a "Rodney King Moment" for the industry and they'll actually try to "All get along" for at least a while.

As someone who ran a small business for many years I really understand competition, but I also understand that at times you need to cooperate with others who might be competitors. This is what I see is lacking -- the cooperation towards a common goal -- the goal you identify -- Be A Diver Where You Are!

"Jim Byrem Named President of DEMA Board of Directors

Thursday Nov 5, 2009

The Diving Equipment & Marketing Association (DEMA) announces the election of DEMA Board Member and Retailer Jim Byrem of Ocean Concepts Scuba, Honolulu, Hawaii to President of the Board. The election fills the Presidential vacancy left by the departure of Al Hornsby from the Board of Directors at the conclusion this morning of the Association’s General Membership Meeting.

In addition to filling the President’s seat from among current Board members, a special election will take place in accordance with DEMA by-laws to fill the vacated Board seat. The election will take place following the trade show and after a nominating committee can be assembled and candidates sought. Once the election has taken place, the individual filling the seat will hold the Board position for a two year term.

First elected to the Board in 2006, Byrem is currently a Vice President of the board, and Chairman of the Legislative Committee. Byrem, in the industry for more than 15 years, owns four dive centers in Oahu and is one of two retailers on the Board representing the A4 Category.

“Jim brings an overall knowledge of the industry and a well-honed business expertise that can be of significant benefit to the membership during these challenging economic times,” stated Tom Ingram, Executive Director of DEMA. “His contributions were integral to the development of the retailer focused Be A Diver acquisition campaign and as Chair of the Legislative Committee, he brings expertise to one of the most critical areas the industry faces, in a time of increased government scrutiny and regulation. We appreciate his willingness to continue to serve the Association by taking on this new role,” concluded Ingram."

Regards,

DocVikingo

Jim's a great guy, nice person, successful diving businessman, all that ... but: he's been long committed to the PADI plan and the "Be a Diver" program is a joke. I don't see this as any significant change in direction.

Just a quick response to more of the non-sense. I have owned Divers Den for 19 years and been affliated with them since 1972, less time served at Anthony's Key Resort of 8 Years.
I am done as I said it is all a waste of my quality time on my thrown!

Let the Diving fun begin!!!!!!

Jim's a great guy, nice person, successful diving businessman, all that ... but: he's been long committed to the PADI plan and the "Be a Diver" program is a joke. I don't see this as any significant change in direction.
I disagree here, Thal. I met with Jim for 90 minutes yesterday, and found a very passionate person who wants what is best for the industry, the diver and his shop and in just about that order. I was impressed with his conciliatory attitude and willingness to listen to the other side.

While I am still sad to see Al go, especially in this manner, I am very pleased with this new development.

I hope your right, but as they say, the best predictor of future behavior is past performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom