Al Boom buy Atlantis Dive Centre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It appears that the number of dive operators in UAE decreased again as Al Boom have bought over Atlantis Dive Centre.

Not sure when the takeover will be complete but Al Boom now have a major monopoly in Dubai with very little competition.

Interesting, I worked for Simon (still the owner?) many years ago at Al Boom. After most of the wrecks were covered in sand by the Palms construction we dove mainly in Fujera. Still surprisingly good diving there.

The take over is all done I believe. Jason sent out an e-mail on Friday stating that the Friday was the last day for him at Atlantis.

Other than PDC, there is not really much competition for Al Boom now on the west coast of the UAE (TDIC & Freestyle have a small presence).

Nice seeing you yesterday Simon albeit briefly, damn surf made for a tiring swim out to the boat.

For gulf diving now, which I don't do a lot of, I will most likely arrange something with Pavilion, not dived with them in years even though they are only about 3 Km from where I live.

Given that Atlantis has superb pool facilities Al Boom will probably be the main training establishment in UAE. My daughter was planning to go on and do her DM with Atlantis when she returns from the Seychelles at the end of this month, she might be better off staying in the Seychelles to do this .... but I can't afford that!

Gordon, the surf was fun, even better in tec rig!!!

Give me a shout about your daughter's DM. I am still an independant with both AB & PDC. Also the option of east coast too

What Simon says............there's still the East Coast :wink:

I am actually writing an article for the next EDA magazine about the future of dive business in the UAE. Unlike the dive industry (who saw it coming), many people/divers were shocked that Atlantis was sold, but many of those same people have played a big role in the "sinking". Fact is that dive centres don't make money on pleasure divers - it's courses, equipment and dive trips that give us bread & butter. The pleasure divers can't cover the costs of boats, engines, rent etc.

Divers who use those independent instructors who charge less, because they have no overheads (I'm not talking about you Simon), take advice from the dive centre but buy the gear online (from huge companies who have completely different purchase prices) and book their weekend trips directly with the supplier (thinking it's cheaper, but in reality just making sure the dive centres don't get the commission) - these are the ones who are shocked now that Atlantis failed, are upset that Al Boom is getting even bigger. In reality they are the reason the dive market is going that way, and one day there'll only be big online companies and dive organisations left; the boutique centres simply can't survive.

It's the way it was with the corner shops when I was a child. Everybody thought hypermarkets were great, until they realized that the corner shops couldn't survive if everybody just went there for milk and whatever they'd forgotten to buy.

Got a bit carried away here; sorry about that. It's just frustrating sometimes to see that people really want the services offered by small dive centres - but they don't want to spend the money.

On that note: I am not whining :wink: It's more a matter of creating awareness on behalf of the dive industry. These past months have been the best in our 12-year history, and we are fully booked every weekend. We are doing fine, but we know that we are extremely fortunate to have such loyal guests, who also do what they can to spread the word :) Big thanks to you all here on Scubaboard as well for that :D

Anyway, enough from me for now............

I wish you all a fantastic Monday, greetings from the beach
Karin :D

---------- Post added ----------

PS: Simon is still one of the owners of Al Boom. He's a really nice guy - we don't have any problems whatsoever with him or Al Boom; we actually have a very nice and friendly relationship. Probably because we respect each other and cater to very different segments of the dive market...........

Karin, I understand all the economics of running a business and could not agree more with you regarding supporting your local dive shop, I have spent a fortune at Scuba Dubai in the past, and already quite a few thousand dirhams with Al Boom since Scuba Dubai closed, not to mention a fair bit of other stuff from Al Masoud.

To be honest I have bought very little online, I do like to hold stuff and know what I am buying, no virtual reality for me.

Personally I have no plans for doing any courses though.

Simon, when Yanni returns from the Seychelles I will let her decide about the DM course, she will only be here for a week before going off to Malaysia for a month and I am off to Paris for a conference for a week. She will be back in mid August for about a week then off to chip rocks somewhere on the NW of Scotland for two weeks before returning to university, so the DM course will have to wait until next summer most likely.

As much as the correct mechanisms need to be in place for a business to survive, let alone grow, the paying customer is the dominant factor.

I haven't run any courses outside of a dive centre. Sure, I could take people down to Russian Beach and use it for both confined and open water sessions (it does meet the requirements as per standards) and crack out certs that way. I have enough dive kit that I could supply to 3 students at a time, enough cylinders for them too. What would it cost me? 10 dhs a fill at Al Boom? I could spend less than 500 dhs including the online PIC's for those 3 students.

Why don't I? I like students to get value from the courses I do. Getting them to do their OW dives in 5m - 7m water is fine according to the standards, but is it any good for the student? Not in my view it isn't. I may do dives 1 & 2 from a beach, but dives 3 & 4 are from a boat (after all, most of the diving we do in the UAE is from boats). A boat I don't have. A boat owned, manned and maintained by a dive centre.

As I said earlier in the post, the dominant factor is the paying customer, and for as long as instructors offer cheaper courses (regardless of the quality of the course) or companies running weekend trips offer cheaper prices to a direct enquiry, people will always be there to take up the offer. Not many people differenciate between value for money and cheapness.

Karin, I understand all the economics of running a business and could not agree more with you regarding supporting your local dive shop, I have spent a fortune at Scuba Dubai in the past, and already quite a few thousand dirhams with Al Boom since Scuba Dubai closed, not to mention a fair bit of other stuff from Al Masoud.

To be honest I have bought very little online, I do like to hold stuff and know what I am buying, no virtual reality for me.

Personally I have no plans for doing any courses though.

Simon, when Yanni returns from the Seychelles I will let her decide about the DM course, she will only be here for a week before going off to Malaysia for a month and I am off to Paris for a conference for a week. She will be back in mid August for about a week then off to chip rocks somewhere on the NW of Scotland for two weeks before returning to university, so the DM course will have to wait until next summer most likely.

Hey Gordon,

I'm actually heading out to the Seychelles next week - pretty sure Yanni is on the GVI volunteer thing which is what I am going out there for - 2 months in paradise.

If she has told you anything regarding what essentials to take (past what GVI advise) then let me know. I'll be taking all my camera kit and seeing what Nudis I can find (if I get the chance).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom