AL 80's Failing Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncjump:
The tanks were hydro'd in Dec 05, so they were still in date. In all fairness though, the shop was concerned and discussed re-hydroing the tanks with me before hand. I think the hydro shop just refused to test them. I'm going to call around and find some other hydro shops and see what they say. I think the shop will be ok filling for me if I can get a VALID hydro on the tank and paperwork proving the hydro. They have just been extra cautious.

you have a valid hydro on them. You need to have 'em VIPPED. Once you get the visual inspection and the correct label you should have no problem getting them filled.

Heck, next time hydro is due, the place you had 'em sent to will probably have forgotten about the first go-round.

Scottri:
I think I'd find another dive shop as well. I've stripped tanks over the years and I've never had a problem with VIP or hydro.

I think I would have to agree. Our LDS has high prices, but I do not question their integrity, or honesty.

Unfortunately based on a lot of recent discussions, I have to wonder if some shops are just desperate for retail business. Stripping a tank is no reason to reject it.

There is no reason that you could have damaged your tanks based on your post. Take them to another hydro facility and let the LDS know after they are hydro'd and VIP'd that you will be taking your business elswhere. Doing this to your customers is how the LDS gets a bad name.

DennisW:
There is no reason that you could have damaged your tanks based on your post. Take them to another hydro facility and let the LDS know after they are hydro'd and VIP'd that you will be taking your business elswhere. Doing this to your customers is how the LDS gets a bad name.

if they pass VIP they don't need no stinkin' hydro.... yet :)

Just because a hydro has been performed within the last 5 years doesn't necessarily mean that a tank doesn't need a hydro.

A steel tank that shows significant rust in the vip and gets rolled to remove the rust needs a hydro.

Any tank that suffers exposure to extreme heat needs a hydro.

Any tank that gets sandblasted needs a hydro.

But if you told the shop that your stripping was a cold chemical nonabrasive procedure, they should not have demanded a hydro.

stevead:
Just because a hydro has been performed within the last 5 years doesn't necessarily mean that a tank doesn't need a hydro.

A steel tank that shows significant rust in the vip and gets rolled to remove the rust needs a hydro.

Any tank that suffers exposure to extreme heat needs a hydro.

Any tank that gets sandblasted needs a hydro.

But if you told the shop that your stripping was a cold chemical nonabrasive procedure, they should not have demanded a hydro.

I agree with your assessment except he did do some light sanding with a brillo pad. Since in my neck of the woods a hydro is $13, I'd do as a preventitive. Should pass no problem and quell any fears .

you could of ruined them if you use the wrong aircraft striper but not likly.. you know how much the parts in a plane cost to replace a ton.. 90,000 for a small section of a 747 just because they bumped it into another plane a put a small dent on it so they had to replace the whole peice.. most aircraft stripes will not damage the metal as they are ment to strip the paint not the metal but there are some that put little pits in the metal so you can repaint it as paint wont stick to a perfetly smooth surface.. depends on what you used.. and if they see stuff like pitting on the tank and marks they can fail them with out testing them off the bat..

haha49:
.. and if they see stuff like pitting on the tank and marks they can fail them with out testing them off the bat..

HaHa - There is a specific set of criterea used in the evaluation of the tank during the hydro/visual inspection process. I don't have my CGA docs with me to look it up but its not arbitrary. The presence of some pits does not indicate failure, only that the pits must be measured.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom