AL 40 recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Buying my first AL 40, as a deco bottle. I know you can often buy cylinders used, but I'm finding I'd often have to change the valve, get it inspected, etc. which reduces to the savings anyway.

With that I'm finding the Sherwood Catalina as well as one from XS Scuba called Metal Impact. Might be a small consideration but I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experience with either - the only functional difference I can think of is buoyancy characteristics as I've read from some folks that certain deco bottle have a tendency to sling awkwardly because of this.

I might be overthinking it but hey, it's on my mind.

The available 40s (and even the Luxfer 40) are all pretty indistinguishable in water. The largest difference you're hinting at is between Catalina and Luxfer 80s, where the Luxfer are lighter and have a slightly different center of gravity.

They are a slightly different shade of yellow. I forget but one of them has a little more green tint to it.

That is the biggest difference I have between the two brands that I have.

They are a slightly different shade of yellow. I forget but one of them has a little more green tint to it.

That is the biggest difference I have between the two brands that I have.

That's why my aluminums are all brushed no coat. No issue with color clashing. That can be so embarrassing.

The available 40s (and even the Luxfer 40) are all pretty indistinguishable in water. The largest difference you're hinting at is between Catalina and Luxfer 80s, where the Luxfer are lighter and have a slightly different center of gravity.
The older Catalina 80's I had were indeed heavier and balanced differently than the Luxfers. But some time during the last 15 years or so, Catalina apparently changed their design and the newer Catalinas (4) that I have are virtually identical to the Luxfers (10).

If you can get a plain brushed aluminium version or strip the paint off yourself, the paint job on the Catalina's is crap, it will soon start to bubble flake off.

I agree on getting one with no paint...if it is painted, make sure to rinse it really well after being in saltwater. In terms of brand, I don’t think you’ll notice any difference.

How did I end up with 13 tanks in my breakfast nook?

I am really liking the bare/brushed finishes. Have a few 80s all painted. All but two of those I bought used on CL or Ebby - had to argue that they were not really **NEW** even though they only had 2 dives on them in 1999 and were stored and they were still in super great shape. (And the tank mesh wraps? FAR FAR more damage caused to the paint surface than protected from. I took an hour or two each on the painted tanks with auto rubbing compound to get the mesh marks out of the paint).

But yeah, brushed is SO much easier to work. Peel off stickers, 50% vinegar/water spray and some light rubbing with Scotchbrite pad and they look damn near new.

Price? I started with the cost of a new tank and figured the used tank in perfect shape (new hydro, VIP and valve) would only be about 75% of the cost of a new one. And since I had to get them hydro'ed, VIP'ed, and the valves switched out or rebuilt, deducting those [scuba store quoted] costs from what I would otherwise offer. The cost per each came in at about $40-50 for a tank out of hydro that has never seen maintenance. Sometimes they understand, sometimes they still think they have a $346 AL 80 from 1991 that's not serviceable. Or sellable for that matter. So they continue to sit there, sadly, collecting more dust while the $40 tanks now look better and are eager to go get wet in a couple of months and do what they were born to do. (I did find an old '74 built Luxfer in 6351-T6 last week that I wanted (handy base for working on valves when you need to hold them to torque burst disk or packing nut). Guy was axing $100. He agreed that it was not going to be a diveable tank and asked for my offer. Threw out $5 above scrap value - $18 to 23) with me picking them up at his house, but he spit and said he'd rather throw it in the trash.)

Got a BRAND-NEW-IN-THE-BOX 63 ft3 Catalina borned in 1996 a couple weeks back. I think I paid $50 for that one. I pick it up from hydro tomorrow, light compounding (no real marks/gouges, scratches - just 26 years of surface oxidation on paint) and wax job, do the VIP, screw the valve and get it filled tomorrow.

OMMOHY

Go for a larger volume tank. AL80.
Why?

According to what I see in his profile, he is beginning tech. For most shallower tech dives, AL 40s are an excellent choice, and an AL 80 would be too much. If he gets into more serious tech diving, AL 80s will be needed, but in that case the AL 40s will still be used as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom