AKR Dolphin Dive or Snorkle Info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to Roatan in January and staying at Fantasy Island. My wife really....really....really wants to do the dolphin dive or snorkle at AKR. Has anyone done both or either???? What was your impression?

I know the snorkle trip is a little less expensive but supposedly has more interaction with the dolphins. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jeff

Please forgive me if I'm repeating myself. Anyway, here's a quick link to my report, including references to AKR's dolphins...

http://www.scubaboard.com/t34578/s.html

Now, I did the Scuba With Dolphins for two reasons:
(1) It didn't cost me anything; and
(2) The Snorkel Group was full by the time I decided. My time to fly was a little short, but okay.

Really, I think the Snorkel Group would be fun enough, for less money.

Have Fun! DON :cheers:

Having been to AKR many times, having been with the dolphins many times, having spoken with AKR divers about this issue many times, there is a clear answer - SNORKEL! Forget the money issue, it's about contact time and quality of that contact. When you dive with the dolphins, you wait while each person gets his/her few minutes with the dolphins. And that's all there is.

With the snorkel, you get to do a waist-deep encounter for about 20 minutes - typically 2 people with each dolphin. You get to touch, pet, look at, talk to, pose with the dolphin all you want. You then get to do an exercise with it (imagine lying flat on the surface of the water and having the dolphin come up behind you and push you around by your feet!). And then you get like 20 or 30 minutes snorkeling in a large, contained pen and can have as much interaction with the dolphin as you want provided you can be more entertaining than the others around you! Because the dolphins want fun interaction, things you do to engage them promote even more interaction. So it's not just swimming and watching them swim.

Yes, it sounds like diving with them should be more fun (i.e., more bottom time, no need to surface for air), but every person who dives with the dolphins comes back with a modestly positive reaction, every person who snorkels with the dolphins comes back with an ear-to-ear grin that says he/she had a great time, and everybody who dives and then snorkels with the dolphins says "why did I bother with the dive!"

Enjoy your trip!

Allen

Thanks Allen and Don. I think that just confirms what I thought. Snorkel it is. Any recommendations as to how to keep the dolphins entertained? That sounds a little odd. Pay money to go entertain the dolphins. Oh well...whatever works.

We have underwater cameras and I would love to get some closeup and interaction photos. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Exactly what the handler tells you to do. It's gentle, but it's important that tourists follow drections. And they'll encourage you to take picutres with your camera, as well as buy the Video or DVD of YOUR romp.

Have fun! Don :zorro:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom