Airport metered taxis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson

Koya Kap
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Zee:), you don't have to run up to the departure area anymore....(I hope)

Metered taxis roll out at NAIA

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) on Wednesday started mobilizing 100 units of brand-new sedans as metered taxis at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminals 1 and 2.

"We have been wanting to give a new alternative transport system at the NAIA. We are therefore proud to have initiated and spearheaded this new service that we are offering primarily to passengers and airport users. Now they have a cheaper but safe mode of transportation," said MIAA general manager Alfonso Cusi.

Cusi said the metered taxi will implement a P70 flag down rate for the first 500 meters and additional P4 for every succeeding 300 meters.

The flag down rate is higher than the P30 flag down for regular cabs operating in Metro Manila. Cusi said they expect the metered airport taxis to be lower in fares than the P1,200 normally charged by current taxi coupon service for passengers who are going to the northern part of Metro Manila.

"For the further protection of users, the taxi meter units are equipped with the receipt dispensing feature. Dispatch slips will be issued to them indicating the plate number of the taxi unit, breakdown of the tariff as approved by the Land Transportation and Franchising Regulatory Board (LTFRB) and contact numbers that they can reach to report any act of abuse or discourtesy," Cusi said.

Taxi companies as well as their drivers have been accredited by MIAA and the Department of Tourism. The drivers, Cusi said, have undergone the DOT’s "Mabuhay Host Program" or the LTFRB’s "Drivers Training Program."

All taxi units are equipped with two-way radios and a top light with the signage "Airport Taxi". It will be exclusively for airport operations to and from the NAIA terminals.

MIAA is expected to deploy around 300 metered taxi units in the coming months and will operate within the Mega Manila (provinces of Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan and Laguna)

"We appeal to our dear passengers to always take airport accredited transport for their own protection. The average fare difference of the tourist metered taxi from that of the regular metered taxi may be a little higher but the benefit to the users far outweighs the cost that will be incurred by making it as an alternative," Cusi said.

Some of the taxis in Manila are really bad. I saw one the other day with it's bumper dragging...

koya, i actually saw these cabs earlier today. they're brand spanking new toyota vios. yellow cab colors too. you'd think they were delivery taxis. but they look to be in much better shape than the ones you see on the road. btw, MIAA started a free shuttle service between naia1 and centennial. i think it includes the old domestic airport as well. glad to know that the guys running the airport are thinking about the passengers' needs.

dennis

p.s: wish i went to sogod with you guys. saw subzero's and brian's pics and they were really nice

i don't get time off during the holidays. somebody has to bring everyone else to where they wanna go. like tacloban:D. hopefully evee and i will get to dive with you guys soon. i'll remind brian about signing up here.

Why are you worried about the meter? The 3 times I have been to the Philippines, i have only seen a few taxi's with working speedometers.:D I know speed is not a real issue in Manila traffic, but there are times I would like to know how fast we are going, when we are moving.:D

Why are you worried about the meter?

'Cause paying the airport taxi rate of P1200 for a ride that costs less than P200 on the meter, even when the traffic is bad, is very annoying. Good to hear the cartel is getting some competition.

Some don't even have 4 tires h2o... :wink:

As a foreigner driver here, I have to admit it is a lot of fun sometimes, you have to be aggressive and defensive at the same time. I get a lot of strange looks when people see it's a foreigner driving. Show no fear... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom