Airport fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until then do what you want, I don't care Dude.

I think that is the underlying point of this entire thread. Most people do what they want and some will look to other options rather then dropping $120.00/couple when it comes time to leave. Roatan resorts are currently running a number of specials and they aren't doing it because they are flush with customers. Paying for an airport on the mainland will ultimately impact the Roatan economy. From the diving community perspective it doesn't do anyone any favors.

The airport fee was US $38, not $30. I was just there in Roatan last week...

So it's not quite a doubling of the fee, it's at $22 increase from $38...

Actually no, it is close to $30US,

The current departure fee breaks down as follows

$30.30 Airport Tax
$2.50 Orisa (Organización Internacional Regional Sanitaria )
$3.00 immigration fee
$2.00 Security fee

The departure fee comes to $37.80 USD currently but the Airport fee is $30.30 USD So it is an increase of $29.70

Not to hijack to thread, but...

The lack of fish was quite noticable last week -- but only on certain reefs. Other Roatan reefs were stunning. Night & day.

....care to specify which reefs were the stunning ones ?

....care to specify which reefs were the stunning ones ?

I want to say Herb's Fantasy was one of the best...

374655_293812213996172_100001021886622_943112_1209352640_n1.jpg

388333_293813377329389_100001021886622_943129_535920961_n.jpg

Nice photos Doc! I would agree, there were many towards the west end where the fish life and overall health of the reef was great. There were a few however, towards the east of AKR and near the AKR inlet that looked pretty ragged and not what one would expect to see in the way of fish life. Is it a coincidents that the ones near the inlet get dove the most and are where they take the cruise ship day divers? I'll let you be the judge on that one.

Oh yay..more tax.

It won't effect my choosing Honduras as a dive destination as the costs of diving Utila are too good a deal for what you get. After 50 dives last year, I was still happy with the place.

One thing I did notice a couple of months ago was Captain Morgan's had their fun diving prices listed and right below the list, in red , was written +12% tax. That's since been removed but it got me to thinking that prices on the Island were going up. I hear that several business has issues with the Honduran tax man last summer and I guess I'll find out more about that when I get there.

Doc, your photos have the same healthy look as the area well offshore where I did my shark dive....I'm guessing the Co Co View area just gets WAY too much diver pressure and was VERY thrashed/worn out/silty looking with virtually zero fish.....so I'd reconsider Roatan if I was guaranteed it would be in an area like where you dove vs a trampled/empty area like Co Co View.

.... The ONLY memorable dive was a shark dive done several miles offshore and FAR AWAY from Co Co View....

It's actually about 1/3 mile offshore and about 4 miles West of CCV. Yes, Sharks are memorable. Some people who have seen Sharks often then move on to prefer Pipe Fish or Nudibranchs.

Doc, your photos have the same healthy look as the area well offshore where I did my shark dive....I'm guessing the Co Co View area just gets WAY too much diver pressure and was VERY thrashed/worn out/silty looking with virtually zero fish.....so I'd reconsider Roatan if I was guaranteed it would be in an area like where you dove vs a trampled/empty area like Co Co View.

OK, so there's one "no" vote.

I think the reefs along the South side of Roatan, between Fantasy Island, CCV and Parrot Tree- they are a rare representative example of something that is very unique in the Caribbean. There are many good days, there are a few bad days, but for some odd reason we return at least once or twice a year, among the 7+ weeks we are off doing dive travel. When I told my wife about the $60 exit fee, she barely reacted. We expect this stupidity from the Honduran government. We really don't react to the airline baggage fees. What are you going to do? I'll cut corners somewhere else to pay for it.

I do believe that there are enough fans of this unusual South side Roatan niche environment, shallow vertical walls, always Sunlit... that careful, slow and observant divers will continue to pay the tolls and will keep diving even at a place as downright awful as the waters around CCV. We are but two of that huge group. The place is booked solid, but the one next door is empty. Go figure.

Unfortunately, the dive-dive-dive mentality that fuels CoCoView is not pervasive on the island, actually it is unique. Thus, I got to wonder.... how is the rest of the island going to fare? Most of the other dive locations are as good as the current state of affairs in the Caribbean, the Marina Reserva zone is what most of the Caribbean looked like in the 1980's and is improving daily. But is that enough for the generally inexperienced fans to pay the extra toll?

Most divers who travel are not looking for the 28+ in a week that CCV will offer, so lets take the CCV fans out of the equation~ they will continue to pay the tax. Other visiting divers want some other activities, and Roatan's offerings are far behind any other Caribbean destination (Utila is not worth even referencing in that regard)... unless you like to drink, and if you want that- co to Cozumel.

Roatan is like the story of the Elephant being described by seven blind men- each has a different take based upon the very small area that they have touched.

No, this tax is going to hit the islands very hard, but the die-hard fans who have the skills to see what they are seeing will still show up to the South side. Like I said, not a lot of openings in the reservation books.

The method that the tax is collected at Roatan is more of an issue to me than the amount. You already pay more to Washington buried into your ticket price for the privilege of possibly having nude photographs taken of you, or being felt up by the TSA. Washington just orders the airlines to collect the toll.

Every country charges you either in or out (FYI Washington nails you both ways), most are more subtle about it. I give points to Honduras for being honest about the tax and not hiding it in the cost of the airline ticket.

As mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, three lines at the airport (pay the tax, check in, security [& possibly a second security screening]) is poorly arranged.

...No, this tax is going to hit the islands very hard, but the die-hard fans who have the skills to see what they are seeing will still show up to the South side. Like I said, not a lot of openings in the reservation books.

Maybe, maybe not. If it does have a significant impact, the airlines will wind up dropping fares just to fill seats. Ultimately, it will balance out but the diehard regulars do stand to benefit in the near term from any reduction in fares.

Back
Top Bottom