Airport fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... The myriad groups of Doctors through student/church groups who schlepp themselves down for a few weeks at a time will indeed be impacted. I could go off on my version of the reality of our spending huge sums for a trip to "provide assistance" by teenage church missions from the US (the costly importation of cheap "labor" makes absolutely no sense)~ ..

I agree, and it's close to home for me. Many times the economics of marketing are upside-down. The telephone calls for the Highway Patrol orphans of widows fund is 90% overhead and a couple dollars go to some destitute. Remember Save the Children with Sally Struthers? I think sending them down is ridiculous but the supporters might say it is for the benefit of the volunteers and without it there would not be any contributions. I think an honest request for money that is spent on local labor would go much further. It seems like Christian Tourism. My wife and family have traveled to the Mexican colonias and their world view has changed. I am the doubter.

Reactions: Doc
I think an honest request for money that is spent on local labor would go much further. .

Absolutely correct but if those groups of divers and teenage kids could not get together at the airport with matching shirts , stay at Anthony's key and try to hammer a nail or two in the couple hours of volunteering then why would they even bother. So many groups of people who would appear never to have worked a day in their lives are part of these "missions" I have seen them in wheelchairs, casts, crutches , too young to work or be knowledgable bur OH SO PROUD of the good work they are doing, all while staying at an expensive resort and diving / snorkeling in their off time, but they all make sure to write about it in their local charity news reports. Roatan has good doctors available, good builders available Imagine if all those people paying full price for tickets stayed home and simply donated the airfare and not even their costs for staying at the resort.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom