Airport Bags for Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are all great suggestions. I am generally a carry-on girl - I don't think I have checked any baggage at all for ... gosh, about 3 years now (and that was only because I had to haul a bunch of stuff over to England for a friend). As such, the whole concept is a bit unfamiliar. :)

One thing to keep in mind is the bag size limitation. American/Air Canada etc all limit bags dimensions to 62 linear inches (length + width + height). Anything larger than 62 inches will be considered excess baggage and charged accordingly.

sarita75:
Oh my first dive trip where I haul my gear (rather than to rent) is fast approaching - but not fast enough, in my opinion. I need a bag that will hold two sets of gear, no weights and regs will be carried onboard. I would like something with wheels and fin pockets.

Any ideas, suggestions? Any ones that you would say to stay away from?

(Links are most helpful!)

THANKS a bunch!

here is what I have and use

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5222987

US ARMY surplus duffel for me big, green, and ugly. No one will steal it and it is more rugged than any other bags out there.

Take a spare nylon duffel for dirty clothing as the week goes on.

I've never met anyone who actually had a bag stolen because it was in a Scuba bag. Lots of concern but I don't think it happens very often.

I would not try to stick everything in 1 bag. I use an Akona rolling duffel ($120) for everything except my regulator and camera, and my bag weighs in at around 45 pounds. Granted, the tool kit is about 5 pounds itself. But I think that 2 sets of gear is going to put you over the limit.

Make sure you weigh it before you leave on your trip.

I agree one set of gear and clothes per bag works much better than trying to put 2 sets in one bag.

I've never seen them measure bags anyplace. Maybe if a bag was obviously and grossly larger they would get you, but I doubt a few inches would be an issue. I think it gives them a rule to point to when someone attempts to check something ridiculous.

My last dive trip was to Nassau in Feb. and I packed it all into a large rubber dry bag with shoulder straps, reg set-up in the very center. You only have to carry it from the car to check in and the lack of wheels, etc., gives you more weight for gear. Worked like a charm. You can also write your name and address, etc., right on the bag with a sharpy so a lost luggage tag won't cost you.

I've only done one dive trip on a plane, but here's my 2 cents. I agree with everyone else, that you probably can't pack 2 sets of gear in one bag, especially if you have thicker suits. I used a medium/large size regular roller suit case, w/ a TSA lock and put in my suit, hood, fins, BP&W, back up lights, mask, weight belt (no weights), small cheap camera, and miscellaneous stuff (towel, log book, etc.). The suitcase was stuffed full and was pretty heavy.

For my carry-on, I have a Stahlsac bag that functions as both a padded regulator bag and also has an attached large mesh bag that stuffs into a zippered pouch in the outside of the regulator bag. I put my reg, SPG, octo in the regulator bag.

I put this ~1' round bag into a cheap Walmart small duffle that held my other carry on goodies (books, mags, snacks).

When I got to the hotel, I unpacked the suitcase, unstuffed the large mesh dive bag from the reg pocket, and packed the suitcase stuff into the mesh bag. The regulator stays in it's own pocket which flips into the end of the mesh bag, making a neat convenient way to carry gear.

It worked great, as you really need some type of mesh bag to carry on a boat or put in the trunk of a car as you get to the dive site. I don't know the model # of the bag, but it was ~$30 at my LDS. It's a grey color, about 1' in diameter when folded and stuffed, but opens up to about 3' long with a nylon fabric bottom and black mesh top.

John

I just got back from Aruba and used 1 gear bag for two sets of gear (my wife's and mine). The total weight came in at 49lbs. I had everything (even wetsuits) excepts the two reg bags with the regs. I put those in my carry on bag. Here is the link to the bag that I used:
http://www.diveaeris.com/p_bags_roller.html

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom