Airline weight limits - Transporting Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy

Reaction score
Let's be honest carting scuba gear around is never pleasant.

Now I’m thinking ahead to the summer when I intend to cram my (and the wife’s) scuba gear in to a suitcase and head for the Caymans. I’ve never really ever been close to a baggage limit before, but I’ve got the sneaking feeling that our kit may take us over.

I was thinking about the additional allowances that golfers get to cart stuff abroad – has anyone every tried putting their kit inside one of those golf carry cases? I’m considering all types of devious manoeuvres not to get ripped-off by the airlines. Does anyone have any tips or great stories on this????
:confused:

Not sure the limit for Cayman but my daughter just visited my son in Puerto Rico. 70 # limit X 3 bags. She carried an AL 80 in a trunk (with valve removed) along with mask fins and shorty. Backplate and wings were in another checked bag and her reg was in a carryon backpack. No problem.

PS - the only reason she carried the AL 80 down was to get it to my son, in the USN so he could get it into his household effects. He previously carried one down the same way and my wife and I will carry another 2 down in a couple of months.

Dave D

American Airlines recently changed their policy. http://www.americanairlines.com/content/customerService/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml

They allow two bags per passenger up to fifty pounds each. Bags heavier than fifty pounds or additional bags result in additional fees. They also specifically state that excess charges apply to “Scuba Tank (empty),” but they don’t tell you what the charges are. Based on the timing of the change, they used to allow bags up to 70 pounds with no additional charges; it appears the goal is to make baggage easier to handle through the inspection process.

When we went to the Keys, they actually weighed all of our bags in Miami on the way back. They have never weighed our bags before, so it looks like they are going to be anal about the new rules.

The days of the gigantic travel bags may be limited and it may be smarter to go with two smaller bags to avoid the fees. It’s only a minor PTA leaving as I weighed all the bags on the bathroom scale and shifted things around to make sure none of our four bags was over fifty pounds. On the way back I had to guess. One of the bags was 48 pounds, pushing the envelope; I’m glad they were all under since I would have been compelled to shift things around at the check in counter to avoid the charges.

My daughter was flying Delta who (for the moment) are still allowing 70# bags. TSA did do a secondary on it after they ran it through the x-ray but no problem.

Dave D.

When we went on the cruise. When we checked in the bags in Flint, they didn't weigh anything. Just tagged them after the initial inspection for explosive residue and put them on the belt. On the way back, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, all three of our bags were weighed and my wife's big wheeled pullman was tagged as "Heavy" as she came in at about 48 lbs. My dive bag, with some extra things stuffed in it was about 40, and my wheeled pullman was about 42# more. Hard to believe that two people would need to haul that much around with them for a 10 day cruise, but we did it, and was my back ever sore by the time we got to the boat! New baggage rules make overweight bags VERY expensive with fees in the neighborhood of $50 for weights up to 70 lbs, and more for heavier still.

Both on the way down and back up to Missouri, all my bags were weighed by American Airlines. I was traveling with a Duffel bagand 3 pelican Boxes 1 full of my dive gear, all of it (except Weights)cause I wasnt sure what to expect in Texas, it weighed 76 lbs. for being over weight I was charged $50.00 for extra bags I was charged $80 per bag, my extra bags were under 70lbs, I believe I read in the American Way Mag that weights were dropping to 50lbs per checked bag?? Maybe I misread that though. It stands out because it contridicted what I was told at the counter.

My only advice is, if your bag is already 70lbs fill it up to 100lbs it will cost you the same. Coming home I was able to cross load in and reduce the extra bagage charge by 1 bag. And not exceed 100lbs.

I sure hope that Contenental does not change their policy within the next month. Last I knew it was 70 lbs. 2 bags max. 1 carry-on.

sharkman
:guitar:

baggage weights for international flights are still the same it is the domestic flights that were changed to 50#. However give the airlines time and they will change that as well. Another tip off for airlines is the Pelican cases mentioned, they will spot them in a heartbeat and not hesitate to charge extra for the gear they find inside.

chuckrt

hummmmm I only weigh 70 kilograms (155 pounds) I reckon I should get a bonus weight allowance since I'm such a stick :D

All the scuba gear you can shove into the plane if your in good shape for your height, it could be a new joint airlines/government fitness campaign :wink:

Back
Top Bottom