Airfare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch - I'm seeing the effect of it, too.

I've gotten used to cheap sub-$400 CAD flights with American (Toronto - Cozumel return, with a quick layover at either DFW or MIA)... that price has been pretty stable the last few years, as long as I'm flexible which day I fly on. It's supported the formation of an annoying Cozumel habit. But just looked up current prices, and everything is now $1000+ for the foreseeable future. Assuming it's due to the loss of the MIA-CZM route.

Is this a temporary/seasonal shortage that they'll resolve -- or is it the end of reliably cheap flights on this route? American was always by far the best Cozumel option for me... though I guess I could start doing the bag drag. Cancun prices are still reasonable, with a lot more choice on timing/airline.

Just a guess, but I’d think that until the Airlines can put all those 737 Max jets back into service, the shortage of available planes for airlines to meet their schedules is going to keep airfares high. Boeing has delivered 376 737 Max aircraft, and for American and Southwest those planes are a substantial part of their fleets. Once they were all grounded by the FAA, both American and Southwest were forced to scramble their schedules (and try to find replacement planes, by delaying the retirement of older, less economic models), reducing the availability of seats. Supply reduced = prices increased. QED.

Just a guess, but I’d think that until the Airlines can put all those 737 Max jets back into service, the shortage of available planes for airlines to meet their schedules is going to keep airfares high. Boeing has delivered 376 737 Max aircraft, and for American and Southwest those planes are a substantial part of their fleets. Once they were all grounded by the FAA, both American and Southwest were forced to scramble their schedules (and try to find replacement planes, by delaying the retirement of older, less economic models), reducing the availability of seats. Supply reduced = prices increased. QED.
Yep. This coming May round trip from AUS-CUN on SW is 50% more than the same trip last year. I'm not looking forward to seeing what the Nov flight prices are when they release them next month.

October is 5+ months away, and is generally the bottom dregs of low season. Wait until July at least to book flights. It seems like there would be little downside, and if the 737 Max issues are resolved, that may ease some of the aircraft supply issues.

I guess we could weep for the airlines, with American expecting to lose $350 million over the 737 Max chaos, but I know they'll abuse me as much as they can when they want to. Those planes are expected to be flying again by mid August for those who are up to traveling on the model. Boeing really did screw up the way they mounted those larger engines on the wings that really didn't have room for them, their software, and their secrets kept from pilots.

let's not forget the pilots who were flying too fast and ignored established procedures....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom