Airfare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi,

I flew Interjet last year no problems from Tijuana to Cancun. I even read your post last year recommending them and was pleasantly surprised. They were on time, great service, extra leg room and when flying domestic no baggage fees.

Two days ago I just booked another RT for June with a ridiculous cheap air fare. Makes me wonder if they are selling tickets then just cancelling flights. I'll have to wait and see how this works out? I guess it would make sense to book with a Dive operation that would allow a 24 Hr. cancellation policy.

Personally If I could save $250 each way flying into Cancun instead of Cozumel I would take that deal everyday an extra 2 hours for 2 days of diving sign me up :)

Don't know a dive shop that would penalize you if you flight was cancelled - at least not to hold your deposit over. But buy trip insurance if you're worried about it, that protects you AND the dive operator.

I used to swear by them - they were solid - but in the recent 2 months there are many problems with them.

If you cant fly direct - always try booking with a carrier with 1 stop via their major hub that goes to Cozumel.

So for American, check flights that hit DFW or United via Houston and Delta via Atlanta. A lot of time if you do connecting flights, the initial flight in US is pretty cheap or almost no cost.

So if we do American DFW to Cozumel via DFW, the flight to DFW from OKC is almost no cost when comparing direct flight from DFW to Coz.

Good luck!

In the past I’ve paid around $450 to Cancun. Right now they are about $100 cheaper than flying to Cozumel.
You didn't say when you really wanted to travel or how long you wanted to stay or travel from home, so no way to offer you specific solutions. I don't know what the fares were over the weekend, Tuesday seems to be the best day to check when hold bookings from the weekend clear, but American is offering $492 RT to Cancun with reasonable connections.

Capture.JPG

United quotes $557 RT to Cozumel after limiting searches to one connection, but their connection times are so absurd that they should be illegal. They can fly you each way in 10 hours, but they charge more. American is playing the same game on other dates. It really depends on when you actually will travel, but keep checking over the next 24-48 hours.

Capture2.JPG

and again, make sure you are adding baggage fees on top of those quotes.

United will rape you.

Interjet will only mug you.

Jetblue and AA are pretty reasonable, but it's still $30-40 per checked bag.

AA, Southwest, and other carriers have grounded all their 737-MAX series planes until late August, prices are going to continue to rise... book early.

I do miss Continental. When it's United or American, I don't expect either to do more than they have to.

I do miss Continental. When it's United or American, I don't expect either to do more than they have to.
I miss Continental as well, though our experiences with United so far have not been all that bad. One funny thing happened, though; as we were leaving Cozumel one day the pilot came on the PA and said, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. We up on the flight deck are going to make every effort to get you to Houston as quickly and safely as possible." Um... what? Every effort??? As safely as possible??? I looked around in amazement but I didn't see anyone else reacting to it. :D

I miss Continental as well, though our experiences with United so far have not been all that bad. One funny thing happened, though; as we were leaving Cozumel one day the pilot came on the PA and said, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. We up on the flight deck are going to make every effort to get you to Houston as quickly and safely as possible." Um... what? Every effort??? As safely as possible??? I looked around in amazement but I didn't see anyone else reacting to it. :D

Back in the day, I used to fly on Trans-Texas Airways, the precursor to Texas Intentional.

TTA.jpg

On one Texas International flight from Houston to Cozumel, we were taxiing down the runway when the pilot slammed on the brakes. Then, he punched the gas and made a sharp right turn. Then another hard brake, acceleration, followed by a sharp left turn. Finally, when we were lined up for take-off, the stewardess came over the PA and said "He might not know how to drive folks, but I can guarantee you he sure does knows how to fly!"

I miss the old Texas International!

Frank Lorenzo's Texas International later merged with Continental. Continental then started using Texas International's "peanut fare" tagline.

peanuts fares.jpg
peanuts fares.jpg

I totally forgot that the Max fleets were still grounded, that is definitely causing some issues still I bet........no wonder I had a hard time finding American flights!

AA, Southwest, and other carriers have grounded all their 737-MAX series planes until late August, prices are going to continue to rise... book early.
Also American reduced flights to Cancun last fall and dropped the Miami to Cozumel route at the beginning of April. I believe CUN was due to a forecast of reduced tourism due to increased cartel violence in Cancun, which has not occurred (the government policy of suppressing news is working), and with MIA they are running low on E75 regional jets (APA scope clause). This in turn has caused spillover to the existing routes to Cozumel. I have noticed much higher load factors on the DFW to CZM flights all winter (it's getting difficult to fly standby on the weekends) and as an example the next three days are oversold. This is going to cause upwards pricing pressure.
On a bright note several weeks back on the way to the airport I was listening to the radio and Sun Country was advertising a flash sale of seats for June to August for something like $140 (most likely each way) on their charter flights this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom