Airfare, ugh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This almost pains me to put this out there. Apparently there is a significant difference depending on where you're coming from and definitely what time of year you're traveling. August 2016, $492 apiece. Last year, May, $520 each. This year, August, $530 (I did have to book one-way flights on different airlines because I missed the window the first time I looked and didn't book them immediately). This would be from Denver via Atlanta going, through Houston on the return.
And this was direct through the airlines, not a travel agent. I have found that to be a better method than using any of the online services.

This almost pains me to put this out there. Apparently there is a significant difference depending on where you're coming from and definitely what time of year you're traveling.

I found I have to be very flexable. It's not only just time of year. I booked Albany, NY => Bonaire round trip for $745 for Dec 8-15, 2018. The weeks before and after were much more. That single week was reasonable in price and travel times. I'm just hoping they don't change anything an tell me I have to go to hell and beyond because the schedule changed.

Ya, no boat dives for me. Two or 3 dives a day plus a night dive and I'm happy. I can be happy in rustic or built up. As long as I can find good food.

LOL. I don't even need good food. I batch it - linguine & jar sauce, a pound of bacon on bread, whatever is quick and easy. I get enough good food at home.

LOL. I don't even need good food. I batch it - linguine & jar sauce, a pound of bacon on bread, whatever is quick and easy. I get enough good food at home.

Same here. My wife and I find Bonaire restaurants pointlessly expensive. They're ordinary--and as such, they're just a drain on money we could otherwise use for airfare, lodging, or whatever. Oh, we like good food very much, but eating is what trips to New Orleans, San Francisco, New York, etc., are for. Cozumel is a good place to combine some good eating with diving, at least for fans of Mexican food. To us, Bonaire trips are for diving, not food. In Bonaire, we are fine with preparing our own food and saving money ... for airfare. :(

I did go to Between-2-Buns on one trip and was very happy. But I get by with peanut butter sandwiches and ice water on surface intervals and whatever I can throw together easy the rest of the time. I might get something from B2B for the return trip this next time.

Right now I'm having lettuce and jalapenios with a little salad dressing everyday for lunch and as little as I can of regular food for dinner trying to lose weight, so you can see how much food matters to me.

My wife and I have only been to Bonaire 3 times, twice we stayed at Sand Dollar, we spent the last trip at Den Laman. We have always gone shopping and have prepared the majority of our meals. Den Laman had a very nice full kitchen. We ate out only once, the night we arrived, it was too late to go to the store and we were quite hungry after a full day of hectic travel. Some people really like to eat out, others enjoy eating in. We had one of the best ocean views from our balcony terrace, and the very best of company. We have plans to return to Bonaire and Den Laman for two weeks this summer. Saving a little money on food makes it all that much easier to splurge on the airfare.
upload_2018-4-14_10-33-50.png

Out of curiosity I looked at flying out of amsterdamn, their flights are even worse!

Posted this last year on Bonairetalk..."Two more traitors here, going to Cayman Brac instead this year due to airfare... but we did make it to Bonaire twice last year. Haven't been to Brac and I hear the shore divin's betta anyway.":popcorn:

Last november we tried Cayman Brac for something different. Well, it's back to Bonaire this Sept.
Last 3 or 4 trips to Bonaire we stay at Capt Dons or Buddy Dive, don't rent a truck, just boat dive and the house reef. We bring food, precooked bacon and Velveeta cheese, jerky, oatmeal, protein bars, peanut butter, etc. Get the rest of our groceries and eat alot at the Hong Zong? place.
I do miss diving the southern sites and will probably get a truck one day for that. And in 10 trips over 15 years still haven't dove the Salt Pier.

Back
Top Bottom