Airfare, ugh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the lesson here is to have multiple plans for running the customs gauntlet and be ready to work with whichever system is actually functioning today.
Good point. I have had Global Entry for 7 years, it has worked beautifully every time, except once. I went through the entire process at the kiosk but the machine had a problem with printing and I did not get my receipt. I went through the process at a different kiosk but was rejected as I had already (too recently) reentered the country. I requested help from an immigration attendant and was told I had no option other than to fill out an immigration form and go through the regular line. Fortunately, it was not busy and it only took me about 10 minutes, could have been much worse. You never know.

If I could access the island that easily from Arizona, I'd have to look really hard at buying a property out there.
Well, do what a number of us do--buy on Bonaire and go once or twice per year but for 1-3 mo/trip. The airfare price/day away goes quite low.

Did not know that, though I have hardly stood in a customs line coming back to the US since I downloaded the Mobile Passport App. It's free and almost no-one uses it, so the line is always empty.
If you'd like to go through Aruba, I recommend learning how the Global Entry process works there and whether or not the Mobile Passport App can be used at that airport. The departure process at Aruba can be absolutely horrible because the many departing flights tend to converge on narrow departure times. This leads to a very, very long line outdoors just to get to the entry point where the various security clearances begin. It is a disaster just to go through, IMHO and if your timing is not right, it can create a lot of anxiety to say the least. On the other hand, if you can get arrival/departure times that avoid the large numbers of people, it can be a breeze. We've experienced both several times, but not since Global Entry or Mobile Passport options came into effect.

Well, do what a number of us do--buy on Bonaire and go once or twice per year but for 1-3 mo/trip. The airfare price/day away goes quite low.
I think my employer would frown on that, but it does sound nice.

Good point. I have had Global Entry for 7 years, it has worked beautifully every time, except once. I went through the entire process at the kiosk but the machine had a problem with printing and I did not get my receipt. I went through the process at a different kiosk but was rejected as I had already (too recently) reentered the country. I requested help from an immigration attendant and was told I had no option other than to fill out an immigration form and go through the regular line. Fortunately, it was not busy and it only took me about 10 minutes, could have been much worse. You never know.

I know folks with global entry that use the mobile app as well... Eyeball which lines looks shorter :wink:

I see early Feb Boston - Bonaire is $560 right now sun-sun!! hmmmm

pretty good price - funny that if you check the same United flight, but direct from EWR (rather than BOS to EWR first) the price goes up to 673

United will eff you. Book the fight and wait a short time. You will find that your flight has been cancelled and you are routed through Huston. They effed me 3 times like that. Never again.

United and Delta are trying to compete with AA. Spring mid-week flights r/t MIA/BON from the mid $200s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom