Airfare, ugh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is still a bit of a stretch but starting to get feasible to consider chartering. For a couple it would be prohibitively expensive except for the very wealthy but for a group of say 10-15 it could begin to make sense. A Gulfstream IV can carry up to 15 passengers in comfort well beyond First Class on any US carrier. Doing a quick look at charter estimates puts the cost at the low end of about 4K a person on up. That is MN to BON non-stop. For a special trip it could be worth it. It would be about 6 hours in the air. No ATL, MIA or EWR or Houston. No TSA. Show up get on the plane, get fed and drinks on the way. Interesting option but has to be the right situation.

On the other hand you could probably charter from Aruba for a song and have all of the flight options in and out that they have. Or you could go somewhere else.

Did you consider the Scuba Board Surge to Curacao for Jan. 2019? Looks like a good way to go 'kick the tires.' Are you hoping to recreate a Bonaire-type experience of driving the coast doing independent shore diving, or do you want some boat diving?

On a cruise ship stop in February I finally got a chance to at least look around the Willemstad region a bit; it had a much more 'built up' feel than Kraledijk in Bonaire. Things like the swinging pontoon bridge give a more upscale feeling. I understand the west end of the island is more rustic; didn't make it down there. Did a bus tour; visited Mambo Beach. No diving; wife & kiddo were with me.

Richard.

Just got back from a week in Curaco. Stayed at Lions, and used The Dive Bus to get around to various shore dive sites (we had also rented a car, just for the convenience of getting to the airport as well as doing things when not diving). The whole thing was an exceptional experience. 4 days (2 tank dives each day, and 1 night dive) gave us nine dives, and I was more than satisfied.

Airfare was very good with a direct flight from Toronto, and very much less than anything we could find to Bonaire. With everything x3 (family), Bonaire seems unreachable...

YMMV

Last edited:
Delta frequent flier miles have increased as well - I'm looking at 90,000 per ticket main cabin for my usual weeks.

Delta frequent flier miles have increased as well - I'm looking at 90,000 per ticket main cabin for my usual weeks.

What a joke. 90k Skypesos used to be enough for a trip to Asia.

I have Delta tickets to Bon for mid September....$795....just for kicks I've been tracking our week on Delta and American most days (excluding weekends) and, so far, haven't seen the Delta price below where I bought them although they have gotten close. American has been a little cheaper but still more or less within $100 of Delta prices with Delta having the better routing from our home airport.

Back
Top Bottom