Airfare changed our trip destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally have changed my diving trips based on airfare/time, and total costs.
Try going to the Philippines every year, airfare always over $1000, 17 hours air time + one day due to time change, and long tranfers.

I went to the Philippines last year and really loved it - next time I can get 3 weeks from work - I'm on my way !

We had not quite figured out a trip but then got tickets to Palau for under $500 so we are going back next spring. For many of our trips we use frequent flier miles, last year we used 35k miles each and went to back to Costa Rica.

Don't even want to tell you what it is costing me and the wife to fly first class to Truk.

I did the same thing. I originally wanted to go to Roatan, but the airfare was way less expensive to Coz, so I went there instead. If airfare to Roatan was more reasonable, I'd go there in a heartbeat.

Ron

I went to the Philippines last year and really loved it - next time I can get 3 weeks from work - I'm on my way !
We go every year for 3-4 weeks, and I do love the country and people, plus the diving is quite good and once in the country it is inexpensive for food, lodging, and diving. But it is a long way and airfare is twice that of getting to COZ.

I go to Roatan at least once a year but it is pricey. I can get good hotel rates but the flights are getting more and more expensive. One thing that I have noticed, not that it's much of a consolation, is that the difference between coach and first class on Continental (er...United) was not that much the last time I went, maybe $200 and that includes a pass to the President's Club in Houston as well as two or three checked bags, and you can go through the Elite line at the TSA in Houston if it's open. Not a bad deal if you are already paying a large amount for a ticket. With only two carriers going directly between the USA and Roatan, it's a near monopoly.:depressed:

The airlines have always had a stranglehold on the island and the resorts. This is why the land portion of the trip has always stayed so low- the local operators are robbing themselves to pay the airlines.

Airline Revenue Managers are not stupid. If they are filling the non-stop flights, they are not going to lower their prices. You can get cheaper airfares by routing through the mainland, but then the value of your lost vacation time has to be a factor in the equation.

Yet- somehow the airlines run full flights, about 200 passengers each way. Continental, Delta, and TACA were joined by the highly successful Sunwing out of Toronto.

Some (likely) current information at: Transportation, Getting to Roatan Island, Honduras

It really depends upon what you want out of your trip. Yes- you can get to Coz for a hell of a lot less, but then again- you're stuck diving in Coz. There are people who understand that and want the diving they find on the South side of Roatan, there are people that want 27 dives a week (CCV), and there are also people who are just as happy with other things that Roatan offers.

Do you want a vacation with some diving? You can do that anywhere in the Caribbean. You can do it most reasonably by staying in guest houses and diving with day-dive operations. Remember- not all who "go diving" really do that on their vacay. There is a lot of drinking going on for (sorry to say) the majority or vacation divers.

I base my dive vacation decisions on quality and uniqueness of diving first- then the number of dives easily possible. If CoCoView and the very localized South-side reef structure wasn't part of the equation, I wouldn't bother doing business with any of Roatan's airlines.

But, you bet- we don't jet back and forth as much as we used to.

BTW, I did a week @ Coco View/Roatan a few years ago, and while the resort/dive facilities were fine...the diving sucked ! Vis was bad all week, it's totally fished out, and showing heavy reef damage from too many divers crossing the same ground over and over, so I wouldn't go back to Coco View ever again.

If you do decide to give Roatan another shot then I can highly recommend Reef House Resort! We were there this time last year and we only saw one other dive boat on one dive the entire week. The area they dive they pretty much have all to themselves. I have been to CoCoview and over all I liked it but the diving and food were superior to what we had at CoCoview. The guy that owns RHR, Mike, lives at the resort and I don't think I have even been to any resort where the owner worked as hard to make sure everyone was having a good time.

Was planning on Roatan for next year until I saw airfares! Looking at the keys now instead. Less expensive in the long run and more of the type of diving I want to do. Wrecks, wrecks, and more wrecks. Plus no passports, shots, can drink the water, no customs, and easy to get to. Unless something really changes I see no reason to go outside the US unless it's a liveaboard that I consider reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom