Aircompressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Buenas Diaz
I am thinking about buying an Aircomresor for my Family . As there are 3 of us diving and our local Dealer has raised the prices for an Airfill once again and as he is not allways in the shop when we need to fill our tanks, i an seriusly thinking of getting my own compressor so that i can fill my tanks when ever i want. I was thinking about a small potable unit from Bauer whith a Petrolengine so that one is more independent and we dont have 380 V.
Has anyone have experience in this matter or sogestions.

Thanks in advance
Michael

There are many reasons to have your own compressor - saving money on air fills isn't one of them.
When I consider the cost of the compressor, the cost of fuel, the cost of replacement filters, the cost of compressor oil, the cost of engine maintenence - not even counting the pain of hauling the thing around - I figure it costs me about $20 for a fill from my own compressor.
Where $20 a fill is worth it is at remote sites where we'd have to drive 20 miles to get a fill, or out on a boat, and that's why I have it. But I get as many fills at the shop before I go on a trip as I can, 'cause it's *much* cheaper there.
Rick

As Rick stated, air compressors are a major hassle and the Rick's cost is about right, even for the local dive shop. For dive shops, usually, the air fill is a loss leader. It costs a hell of a lot more on upkeep and maintenance than the average cost of an air fill.

However, I just so happened to know someone who wishes to get rid of a gas powered air compressor. It only has 25 total hours on it and is portable. I will give you the make and model on it, if you wish, along with his asking price.

Let me know what you think!

Owning an air compressor really doesn't save you a lot of money unless you are diving a LOT!!

If we totally ignore the initial cost of the compressor and just go with the cost of the filters and oil it works out to about $3 per fill plus the cost of what ever is driving the machine ... gasoline or electricity (however, that is minimal).

Now, if we factor in the cost of the machine (around $3000) and say (for round numbers sake) that you fill 100 cylinders per year for five years, that adds another $6 per fill. Less if you do more fills and more if you do less. At $9 per fill you surely aren't saving any money over LDS pricing.

No, owning a compressor is more of a convenience thing. It allows you to take an air supply to remote areas, on a boat or to avoid the jerk kid at the dive shop that keeps hitting on your daughter.

Just my biased $.02

Ray
http://www.hurricane.net/~rcontrera/per_comp.htm

Back
Top Bottom