air vs nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
a week of diving with air vs a week of diving with Nitrox. If doing pretty much the same dives both weeks. Have any of you guys/ladies done both types of dive weeks and felt a noticeable difference after the dives of after the week?

2 weeks of trips diving air and 1 week trip using nitrox.

No noticable difference in how i felt at all.

My wallet always feels lighter with nitrox.

Seriously, if you dive the same PPO2s, the gas doesn't matter. Dive 36% (assuming you are within 1.4 or whatever) as if it's air and you'll notice a difference.

Make longgggg, slowwwww ascents and spend lots of time shallow (20'-0') and you'll feel great regardless of the gas.

I absolutely agree with Rick and String.

Rick has it right.

If you pick your gas so that you're close to your defined ppO2 limit for much of your diving, make deep stops, and blow off what's left in your tank in shallow water, YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

With a routine of three to five dives a day I'd start to drag after about a week and spend most all my surface time sleeping. With a switch to NITROX and change in ascent procedure I could go on with that routine forever and just sleep eight hours a night.

let me get this straight what you guys are saying?

extend your bottom time to raise your P02 so that it gets closer to 1.4 in order to get more advantage of the nitrox to feel better after the dive?

NO - P02 and bottom time are independent.

For a given dive (or set of dives) within the recreational dive limits, you will feel better if you use an oxygen enriched mix.

I've never noticed any differnece in the way i feel after a dive
in my opinion there is no reason to use nitrox uless its part of your deco
or
you're doing really long dives above 130 feet and you want to cut down on deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom