Air supplied diving compressors... anybody have experience with these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used one of the Johnson AirBuoys a bunch of times when I was a kid. They were all gas powered and worked ok. I never heard of anyone getting gacked by carbon monoxide since there's always some kind of wind movement on the ocean.
I never thought about actually buying one though. If you're going to mess with a bailout bottle, why not just dive with a tank and save the cost of the doodad?

They were all gas powered and worked ok. I never heard of anyone getting gacked by carbon monoxide since there's always some kind of wind movement on the ocean.
I am continually amazed that far more experienced divers than I don't understand the risk of CO produced internally when the hot machines partially burn their own lubricating oil.

CO risks have simply not been fully appreciated by the industry, in part because of the lack of accurate testing until recent years, and who knows how many CO hits have been undetermined while the accidents and deaths have been written off to other causes.

Edit: See corrections below...

@DandyDon the compressor itself is an oil-less diaphragm pump. Near identical to the ones used in at-home oxygen concentrators. Very different than oiled compressors that do generate CO

@DandyDon the compressor itself is an oil-less diaphragm pump. Near identical to the ones used in at-home oxygen concentrators. Very different than oiled compressors that do generate CO
Color me corrected. :confused: Thanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom