Air share skills with female instructor problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might cross my mind before the drills, and I might look at where the straps are positioned on her BC and think *this might be, umm .. interesting* But ... during the drill, all I would be thinking of is donating my reg, and getting a good grip on her strap .. it may be tight and it sometimes takes two hands to pull it out enough to get your hand in there ... as has been said, do the task at hand, have any worry about it back on the boat

i had the same problem in ow when we were doing buddy ascents. except my buddy was HOT, which made it hard enough not to look/grab things anyway. but like what was already said, there is a task at hand, grab confidently, hold nothing back and it wont be an issue. it only makes it awkward when you act all squirrely about it.

I've had the same... er... issue during some classes, but frankly, since they're most likely to try to rocket to the surface, grabbing the strap at the shoulder should help hold them down better, eh? :wink:

If it were an actual emergency, I would grab whatever presents a grip, with no worrying about anything but the life and welfare of myself and the other diver. Of that, I am absolutely certain. In unrealistic practice, however, I really can't help but worry about it.

Of course, a friend and I were doing our rescue checkout together. It was her turn to give her best malevolently rescuer-attacking panic impersonation (we decided to make it as difficult on each other as we possibly could, assuming that a person thinking clearly and feigning panic while directly attacking whenever possible would be at least as bad as someone in plain old mind-blanking panic -- plus, it was *FUN*, even if a bit painful). Anyway, coming at someone behaving completely irrationally (albeit by directly choosing to go against rationality at every turn), any thoughts I may have had about being considerate were obliterated somewhere between the first kick to the stomach and the following elbow to the face.

Frankly, our little "extreme rescue" battles were *MUCH* more useful as a learning tool than the classes. The classes say to come up from below and behind when approaching a diver in panic on the surface; being attacked makes you quickly develop a comprehensive understanding of where the "weak spots" are that will let you get a death grip on the adversary in order to save their menacing little life. :wink: (Oh, and when you've had the wind knocked clean out of you, along with your reg, you get really good at recovering the reg quickly and jamming it back in your mouth by the wonderfully blessed purge valve. :D)

As for the ridiculously awkward to me rescue breathing tows, I figured that a centimeter from my buddy was close enough. If I had been able to do the class with J., I would have had to have held the belief that realism is of paramount importance in rescue training, but as we were not both in the class, close seemed close enough. Of course, if I mentioned why it was almost painfully awkward, I doubt anyone would believe me, anyway. (How's *that* for ruthlessly leaving a thread hanging? :D)

Just grab the gear, no reason to worry about the incidental contact. You stated that grabbing the shoulder threw your instructor off. Why? Because she was expecting you to grab her like you would grab a guy.

I was having trouble attaching my inflator hose to my drysuit last weekend and one of the guys offered to help but was trying to be careful not to touch me. You can't get that inflator on without putting some pressure in the chest area. He told me he didn't want to come across as "forward" and I told him to do what he needed to do to get the thing to connect. It was going to require a lot of effort to feel anything under my drysuit and heavy undies. Now if we're in the pool and you've got one hand on each tit with your head in the middle while saying "Tune in Tokyo" I'm going to cuff you in the ear :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Now if we're in the pool and you've got one hand on each tit with your head in the middle while saying "Tune in Tokyo" I'm going to cuff you in the ear :wink:

this is why i love Ber

also, because she's always in the middle of a rodeo or a dogfight of some sort

:10:

yeah ... it's diving ... do what you have to do and don't worry about incidental contact ... it will be minimal anyway, probably not even noticed

Ber Rabbit:
... "Tune in Tokyo" ...
HHHhhaarrrr!
Dang near busted a gut on that one Ber :D
Rick

Ber, Thanks everyone at work is now wondering why I am looking for another keyboard. Coffee and MS Natural keyboards do not go well together. In a real world situation, you can only rely on reaction. That is why I asked this. If I am going to be uncomfortable grabbing the strap, at chest level, then I have to figure something else out.

It appears that, from the responses, incidentals are ignored when the "job" requries it.

Thanks for clearing the air about that. Luckily everyone else will all be in dry suits for the check out dives.

Do what it takes..simple...if the girly girl is going to react negativley...so be it...your divin..and it is part of the er...dive.

Rub up, flicker tweek what ever..get er done...I loved my rescue course...As DM..I was the BODY...did I have fun that day with ALL women class....life was good...

On a very bad night training dive a while back, I lost my weight belt at the surface. It came off my waist, and was hanging from my crotch strap. My instructor had to go underwater and come up between my spread legs to try to get the thing free without losing it, and then he tried to put it back on me, which involved a sort of bear hug maneuver. This whole sequence was truly adding insult to the injury of having screwed up almost everything that could be screwed up during the whole dive!

The bottom line is, diving is not a modest sport, and neoprene or dry suits pretty much preclude anything suggestive, anyway . . .

Ber Rabbit:
Now if we're in the pool and you've got one hand on each tit with your head in the middle while saying "Tune in Tokyo" I'm going to cuff you in the ear

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom