air pockets in caves, dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alect626

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all im alec from cebu city philippines,
we went cave diving a week ago to caubian cave just of the coast of mactan island.
just curious we went into an air pocket 42m deep inside the cave, if we were to surface our dive comps there what would happen? comp error?

heres the link to a video of our dive that i made.

YouTube - Cave Near Caubian Cave

I would suspect it depends entirely on the computer... By 42 meters, do you mean 42 meters horizontal into the cave at at surface level? 42 meters deep vertically into the cave?

If 42 meters DOWN, then the air would be under ambient pressure, AKA Compressed. so the computer would probably read it as being at depth if it uses a depth/pressure sensor only, and might be confused if it uses a water sensor as well.

If 42 meters ACROSS and at sea surface level inside the cave... it's just going to think you surfaced and this is your surface interval, and the continuation is a new dive.

its 42 meters deep, airpocketi side from cave mouth is just 10m

It will read 42m.

I can't speak to surfacing at depth, but when diving in the cenotes in January we went from Chacmool to Bat cave and after coming back out the computers read it as two seperate dives, b/c of surfacing.

Kristopher

I can't speak to surfacing at depth, but when diving in the cenotes in January we went from Chacmool to Bat cave and after coming back out the computers read it as two seperate dives, b/c of surfacing.

Kristopher

That is because each entrance has an opening to the surface so air pressure is at ambient.

I want to know how an air pocket gets 42m deep inside a cave? Must be a lot of divers going through there if it is exhalation bubbles.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom