Air/Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airraider1

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying some new gear. I'm not sure if I need to replace my current computer. If I start using Nitrox blends do I absolutely need a computer that is Nitrox compatable? Is there a formula I can use to make adjustments?

Spend a few dollars more and buy a nirtox computer.
Better safe than sorry.
I personaly wear 2 computers one set up for air and one set up for the nitrox mix. If you have an air computer keep it and use it as a back up.Buy a new nitrox computer. run that at the mixture your using and run the air as a back up. Remember if you use nitrox and run a air profile you will always be safe if the nitrox computer dies for some reson.
Fred

airraider1:
I am in the process of buying some new gear. I'm not sure if I need to replace my current computer. If I start using Nitrox blends do I absolutely need a computer that is Nitrox compatable? Is there a formula I can use to make adjustments?

You don't ever need to spend your money on a computer, let alone two.
Learn the tables for the respective gasses, and use a bottom timer, and you're all set.

Laser:
Learn the tables for the respective gasses, and use a bottom timer, and you're all set.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. A computer lets you spend alot more time diving than the tables do, safely. If you enjoy the underwater part of diving you should get a computer. If you enjoy the surface interval, stick with the tables. That being said, I strongly recommend that the computer you purchase be nitrox capable. Nitrox is safer ( up to M.O.D.) than air and allows you to spend way more time underwater. You may or may not be presently limited by gas consumption, but as you dive more you'll probably find that bottom time becomes the limiting factor. This is when the multi-level nitrox capable computer becomes a very beautiful thing.

Laser:

Learning mixed gas theories and tables is good advise, I would only add to that:

Ignore the 'computer rots your brain' trolls.

Once you understand Nitrox, either use an air computer with added safety margins or get a nitrox computer for more bottom time.

This will all make sense once you've taken an EAN class.

airraider1:

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, there is a formula, it's programed into the computer. The problem is that its very complicated, and has to be recalculated with every depth change. So, unless you're really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really good at math, and don't plan on paying attention to anything else going on around you, I'd go ahead and upgrade to a nitrox computer.

Scubakevdm:
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. A computer lets you spend alot more time diving than the tables do, safely. If you enjoy the underwater part of diving you should get a computer. If you enjoy the surface interval, stick with the tables. That being said, I strongly recommend that the computer you purchase be nitrox capable. Nitrox is safer ( up to M.O.D.) than air and allows you to spend way more time underwater. You may or may not be presently limited by gas consumption, but as you dive more you'll probably find that bottom time becomes the limiting factor. This is when the multi-level nitrox capable computer becomes a very beautiful thing.

I can spend more time under using the tables for 32 or 36 than an computer will allow. This is based on the 5 minute " snapshot " taught by GUE.

airraider1:

I don't think you can easily adjust the NDL values displayed on an air computer to suit the nitrox mix you happen to be diving.

Laser:
I can spend more time under using the tables for 32 or 36 than an computer will allow. This is based on the 5 minute " snapshot " taught by GUE.

So a computer sampling every second is not as good as a diver sampling every 5 minutes?

HOGWASH. I'd tell you how I really feel about that but I don't feel like feeding the troll.

Laser:
Okay, come diving with me. We'll do four dives out on the reef, at about 70'. Each of us will stay down as long as we are allowed, and at the end of the fourth dive we'll add up all our bottom times and see who stays longer. I'll even pay for the boat ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom