Air integrated or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decided to go with both- AI wrist computer and transmitter and SPG. Eventually, I would like to have my AI computer on my right wrist, my transmitter, my SPG and a backup non AI computer on the left wrist.

This points to my main motivation for asking my question in this thread. Is there really any useful or interesting use for the data that I'm not thinking of?
and I think the answer seems to be that only a more granular knowledge of your RMV/SAC.
In a sense, but there's more to it.

If you use an air integrated computer, and it can and you do download dives to your home computer, smart phone, etc..., to maintain a dive log, then your log will automatically contain start and end gas pressures (and yes, calculate SAC/RMV).

In theory, if you don't use an A.I. computer, you could diligently write those down as you diligently log every dive you do at the time you do it (assuming you don't have photographic memory). Well, in theory if we ignore human nature.

Some people don't care about having that. Some like to compare their SAC rate over time, or on dives where they were more stressed (e.g.: fought current), or compare their SAC to others to get some idea how they're doing in terms of gas consumption (useful as we often dive with others).

So, if you'd like that data logged with great convenience and you're not the most diligent sort about logging right before and after every dive, A.I. makes a lot of sense.

On the issue of analog SPGs, any piece of tech. can fail, you'll probably be fine without a backup, if you get a failure you can probably abort the dive, in many places there's a dive store or the liveaboard can loan/rent you something, but many of us like a backup, and it's up to you whether to go cheaper with an analog SPG or buy a 2nd computer.

My 1972 Italian Scubapro SPG still works fine, but only goes to 3500 psi and fits an old 3/8" HP port. This worked fine with my steel 72s and MK5/109.
View attachment 764753
And you're not even dead -- imagine that -- obviously, you've stumbled across the "Mercedes" model, as opposed to the Fiat, which still burns a bit of oil . . .

Anyone claiming they've never had an SPG fail is full of BS and not to be trusted.
I've got 600 dives and never had an spg fail. According to this presumptive opinionated random internet poster who doesn't know anything about me, I am full of BS and not to be trusted, based on that one simple fact.

Who knew?

I had a buddy have his fail on him, I've never one fail myself. So rare but does happen.

I use a Scubapro G2 and the wireless connection is rock solid, have not had a single cutout. I still use a small backup SPG which is handy when I pressurize the reg and the computer is turned off. The AI is very nice as it shows the tank pressure in one display and the predicted RBT is also nice to see. I remember when the Scubaboard community was generally against AI and this has totally changed now.

Now wait just a rock-pickin-minute....
We are STILL having the AI (Air Integration) debate? Seriously....

Okay, let Uncle Old-Skool help y'all out here. Shearwater, and several others (Aqua Lung, Suunto, etc.) have had AI for about 8 years now. The Tech diving community has embraced it. Rebreather divers are using AI. Cave divers, and CCR Cave divers are using AI for their stage and Bail-out bottles now. Does someone have to hit you in the head with a Pony Bottle before you realize that AI has proven itself over and over again. It is time to take off the training wheels and embrace the added benefits that integrating Tank pressure into your dive computer has for safety.

The WORST thing I have read about is that, On occasion, the transmitter may lose communication with the wrist unit for a couple minutes. If this bothers you, run you AI transmitter along with your SPG, until you build confidence in, and work the bugs out of the AI transmitter. Piece of cake.

Embrace your inner Technology Nerd!

Uncle Old Skool, out. 😉

Ive seen firsthand failure of oceanic, suunto and shearwater transmitters with divers. None had backup spg because they trusted their electronics. I always carry a backup spg in my bag for this reason, to loan out. Guess what I see these same divers sporting when they return to dive again ....backup spg. Ive gone through several transmitters myself and am happy with just an spg. SPG fails too but usually you can see that it is not reading accurately. Transmitter fails , you dont see much.... I ve seen transmitters fail in the water just after being serviced. I dive everyday and electronics do fail occasionally ( cameras, scooters....) and one should be prepared.

Ive seen firsthand failure of oceanic, suunto and shearwater transmitters with divers. None had backup spg because they trusted their electronics. I always carry a backup spg in my bag for this reason, to loan out.
I’ve had an SPG fail as well. I do keep a spare SPG or two on the boat in my save a dive kit, but don’t bring it on the dive with me.
SPG fails too but usually you can see that it is not reading accurately. Transmitter fails , you dont see much....
You say this like it’s a plus for the SPG. I see it as a minus, or at least neutral if you recognize the failure. A stuck SPG may not be detected right away. It may only be detected when the reading is significantly different than what is expected. Even if it is caught right away, an erroneous SPG reading is no better than a NO COMMS message on a computer screen. It’s very clear that the transmitter has failed, not always so clear with an SPG failure.

I’ve had an SPG fail as well. I do keep a spare SPG or two on the boat in my save a dive kit, but don’t bring it on the dive with me.

You say this like it’s a plus for the SPG. I see it as a minus, or at least neutral if you recognize the failure. A stuck SPG may not be detected right away. It may only be detected when the reading is significantly different than what is expected. Even if it is caught right away, an erroneous SPG reading is no better than a NO COMMS message on a computer screen. It’s very clear that the transmitter has failed, not always so clear with an SPG failure.
Any failure with my spg has been seen during pre dive check. Ive witnessed batteries crap out on transmitters during a dive. Ill trust an spg anyday eventhough I do like the tech stuff. I have electronic housings that costs over $10k and have nothing but problems....more inclined to using manual housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom