Air Integrated Dive Computers and SPG's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallaskincaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased an air integrated wireless dive computer with the idea that I would remove my SPG and it would lighten the amount of crap I lug around the world and also streamline my setup for diving. One thing that has concerned me a little bit is what happens if the my dive computer fails? Do most people have a simple SPG connected to their 1st stage as a backup, or has the technology in the wireless air integrated (assuming the batteries are fully charged, etc.) progressed to where failures are pretty much non-existent?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input! I really value the knowledge I gain from this board!

Thanks,

D

I always consider air integration redundant to an analog SPG. You can keep your SPG clipped out of the way, but I wouldn't get rid of it. Treat air integration as a convenience, but not your only means of reading tank pressure.

There are plenty of users that have gone hundreds of dives without any issue, and the computer only failed when the battery eventually died. But it depends on what kind of dives you're doing, and how much having the extra SPG would bother you. If you're fine with simply aborting the dive if the computer were to fail, then why bother with the SPG? Personally, I love not having the extra hose.

The technology has come a very long way. In just the past few years.
I see one or two failures every year though.
I personally would just HATE to cut a great dive short if my "electro" SPG bonked out.
But due to weight and space considerations, I understand why some people ditch their analog SPG.
I will not dive without one however.

Chug
Will not dive without 'Der Schnorkle" either.

If you're fine with simply aborting the dive if the computer were to fail, then why bother with the SPG?

The reason for me is because computers may not necessarily fail outright. They may, in fact, give you the wrong reading. My AI wrist computer is backed up by an analog mini-spg, and I often check the psi against each other. The day they don't agree, I'll dive the more conservative reading until I find out which one is in error. May be an unreasonable fear on my part, but I like the peace of mind.

I've never heard of an AI wrist computer giving a completely wrong reading, but if you're familiar with your air consumption rate and check the computer regularly throughout the dive you should know if it's operating normally. Analog SPGs can fail too, and I've known two divers who ran out of air at depth because the needle got stuck and they weren't checking it often enough to realize the reading wasn't correct.

Redundancy is always good, of course, but on a typical recreational dive the worst case scenarios of a transmitter failing aren't that bad.

1. It fails mid-dive, and you still have air remaining: Safely ascend and end the dive. Or, if you know how much air you had before the transmitter failed, can estimate your consumption rate well, and are in a familiar, safe environment continue the dive.

2. You run out of air because of a false reading and not paying attention: CESA if you're in a shallow site and weren't pushing the NDL. Or if you have a pony switch to that and safely ascend.

Since the rate of failure is so low, and the worst case scenarios are manageable, it's worth it to me to not have an analog backup. But peace of mind is the key, so gotta do whatever makes you comfortable in the water :)

I've never heard of an AI wrist computer giving a completely wrong reading, but if you're familiar with your air consumption rate and check the computer regularly throughout the dive you should know if it's operating normally. Analog SPGs can fail too, and I've known two divers who ran out of air at depth because the needle got stuck and they weren't checking it often enough to realize the reading wasn't correct.

Redundancy is always good, of course, but on a typical recreational dive the worst case scenarios of a transmitter failing aren't that bad.

1. It fails mid-dive, and you still have air remaining: Safely ascend and end the dive. Or, if you know how much air you had before the transmitter failed, can estimate your consumption rate well, and are in a familiar, safe environment continue the dive.

2. You run out of air because of a false reading and not paying attention: CESA if you're in a shallow site and weren't pushing the NDL. Or if you have a pony switch to that and safely ascend.

Since the rate of failure is so low, and the worst case scenarios are manageable, it's worth it to me to not have an analog backup. But peace of mind is the key, so gotta do whatever makes you comfortable in the water :)

why is redundancy always good? With each piece of redundant equipment comes an increase in the chance of failure. Adding complexity of the diving gear should be carefully balanced with the actual benefit (and cost). if you are not going to trust the AI computer (for a recreational dive) then why spend the money? I have bought several and they eventually have all failed (just as about 8-10 "regular" dive computers i have). Not a big deal really, you just come up if it fails.

I might carry a spare spg in my gear bag for an extended trip, but you spend a lot of money to get rid of a hose and then you add one back in again?

why is redundancy always good? With each piece of redundant equipment comes an increase in the chance of failure. Adding complexity of the diving gear should be carefully balanced with the actual benefit (and cost). if you are not going to trust the AI computer (for a recreational dive) then why spend the money? I have bought several and they eventually have all failed (just as about 8-10 "regular" dive computers i have). Not a big deal really, you just come up if it fails.

I might carry a spare spg in my gear bag for an extended trip, but you spend a lot of money to get rid of a hose and then you add one back in again?

That's actually what I might end up doing. Bring an SPG with me, but just leave it off unless I have a problem with the AI computer.

That is what I do. I haven't had to use it yet though I suppose it might be necessary some day. I did loan it to a guy on the last trip I went on. IIRC he had problems with a leak.

That's actually what I might end up doing. Bring an SPG with me, but just leave it off unless I have a problem with the AI computer.

why is redundancy always good?

In this case, for those that have the AI wrist computer not because they wanted to lose the hose so badly, but because of the convenience of glancing at their wrist for all their information. With the additional SPG they can carry on the dive normally even if the computer does fail, so the redundancy does have a benefit. While adding an SPG adds the potential of the SPG itself failing, what effect would it have on anything else? If it doesn't effect your other gear it's not really adding a meaningful failure point or complexity.

I'd also personally only bring an SPG as a backup for an extended trip. The chance of a comp dying on a liveaboard might be low, but if I spent $5000 on a trip I'd definitely bring a $50 equipment backup just in case.

Back
Top Bottom