Air integrated computers…backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the type of diving. If I am doing technical or deeper Diving I use a backup spg. if it is just typical shallower recreational dives I do not feel the need to have a Backup. Fundamentally you have to ask yourself if you are willing or able to end a dive If the AI fails. If you have one device, whether its AI or an analog SPG you have to end the dive if there is a failure. If you have a backup you can continue the dive.

I run a small SPG and a dive watch with a depth gauge (Citizen). When my AI computer (Suunto) ran into user error (low battery) and subsequently locked for 48 hours on a liveaboard the dives those days were done diving tables.

I use Suunto tank pods with my Suunto computers but always have a pressure gauge connected as well to compare pressure readings and give peace of mind. For the sake of a few Euro for pressure gauges it's well worth it in my humble opinion.

For those that dive with air integrated computers…. Do you still have an additional pressure/depth gauge for backup like a console or what?
The most important information you need from your AI computer is the NDL and tank pressure. Therefore you ought to have a back up to those: another computer(cheap) + spg.

For those that dive with air integrated computers…. Do you still have an additional pressure/depth gauge for backup like a console or what?
Yes, but in my save a dive kit on the boat. The PPS transmitters are very reliable. I’ve been using one for 9 years, and in that time, I’ve only had a couple momentary instances of losing signal. That was early on when I was figuring out where I wanted the transmitter and computer, and I believe it was only when I had them on opposite sides. I now have computer and transmitter on the right side and no issues.

SPGs can fail as well, yet I never see divers with two SPGs attached to a single 1st stage.

This may blow your mind. I cave dive with transmitters only. Two transmitters. Two Perdix. This is not uncommon. More common than you might think. SPGs are in my spares box in the car but I’ve never had to use them. Shearwater computers and the associated transmitters are very reliable.

Brick the console. Plain brass and glass SPG if you want a backup.

I use two Perdix computers, one transmitter, and a SPG.

What if?
If the only AI computer fails you lose all the information and call the dive. An spg will let you know the tank pressure and make the ascend easier.
A cheap back up computer will give you all the info for ascend except the tank pressure. But with an additional spg you can carry on the dive if you feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom