Air integrated computer and a pressure gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brass spg isn't that expansive nor weight a lot, why not include one as well. I went with wireless AI when I started, but I have spg me as well. Most of the time AI works well. However, my AI computer went out of battery underwater once without any, zero, warming, and that was just short after I replaced the battery. Luckily I had brass spg.

So consider that, if you overload too many functions into one device, if it fails, you have multiple failure. If you have a spg, what would be the down side?

With the cost of some AI computers and several instances I've seen in the past year where there has been a loss of signal or other transmitter issue, I find that the more reasonable plan is to buy two non-AI computers for the money I would have spent on an AI computer and have a pressure guage. If one computer fails, I am still diving as a have a second computer and pressure guage. IF you are only diving an AI computer then your dive is over if there is a failure as you would not know your remaining gas.

Working on the $$$ for the gear, but I am going to run an AI computer (Atomic Cobalt) and guages. If for some reason the computer quits, i can still end the dive safely. Do and air check, safety stoop, and even navigate, etc.

I use a digital wireless AI wrist-mount computer along with a standard analog SPG. Once I had a transmitter low-battery warning in route to a dive sight, so having the SPG as backup ended up saving my dives.

Last edited:
When I dove with a hosed AI computer I had no need to carry an additional SPG, once I started diving a wireless AI computer it became quite apparent that an spg was necessary if nothing else just for peace of mind. If you have a second HP port the spg on a 24" hose clipped off to the side is unnoticeable :D but it's nice to have if an when you need it.

I would be buying thousands and thousands of dollars of OTHER dive gear before I sprung for one of those wrist mounted, wireless gadgets...

My buddy bought an AI wireless computer a few years ago. Never any problems with it unpairing. So he removed his 2 gauge console before a week long trip to a more remote dive destination.

However like Maredsous, his low battery warning went off the 2nd day of our trip en route to the site - he had a new battery installed the week before. No one had anything on the boat so he sat out two morning dives. The next day, he replaced the battery (bad idea - should have had the shop tech do it) and it flooded on the 1st dive. So for the rest of the week he borrowed a big old console.

I noticed when we got back that his SPG was re-installed before the next time we dove. :D

The computer was fine after it dried out and was serviced.

I am referring to wireless, and the need for a back up in case of lost signal!

In that case please disregard my post (#2).

I am also one of those who went from wireless AI + spg back to spg only. Reason being 1) way too many deck hand handle the rig by AI tranmisster. Nothing has happended yet, but I can see one day someone will break it and I have sit out a day of diving. 2) I don't want to develop the lazy habbit of not looking at spg, 3) selling wrist AI to get 2 non AI wrist computer so I can have backup.

Can some one tell me a definite advantage of wireless AI? I haven't seen it after 3 years of using it.

AI is more accurate ...

I wouldn't go so far as to say an AI computer is more accurate, but it is more precise.

Okay time for a little lesson. Accuracy != Precision != Resolution. Accuracy means the reading is correct (Can you hit the bulls eye?). Precise means the reading is repeatable (Can you hit the bull's eye repeatedly). Now on top of that there is resolution. Resolution means ability to read the value and just because one can read a value at 1/1000 does not mean accuracy or precision is any better than a reading a value at 1/10. (What are the size of the bull's eye rings?).

Now lets compare digital versus analog.

Accuracy: analog gauges are typically accurate to within 25 or 50 psi. Digital gauges are typically accurate to within 5-10psi

Precision: both have similar precision.

Resolution: analog gauges have tick marks every 100psi as such the resolution is 50 psi which is the same order of magnitude as the accuracy. Digital gauges typically read down to 1 psi or 1/10 bar which is a bit more than the accuracy so more than needed.

As for should one have an SPG back up with AI - search is your friend as this topic has been discussed ad-nausium.

Back
Top Bottom