Air hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what you may want to consider is carrying a stage bottle. What you would do on a typical dive is breathe the stage bottle down first, then switch to your back gas. This would ensure you have enough gas to share with your buddy in an emergency since typically stage bottles only have one second stage. All you would need is an extra bottle, stage rigging and an extra reg which would be much less expensive than switching to doubles. Also, when on vacation in a place where doubles are not readily available, you could bring your extra reg/rigging and rent an extra bottle.

Another option is just getting bigger tanks.

As others have suggested, your gas consumption will get better the more you dive and get your buoyancy and trim dialed in. So another option is just to give it time.

A good reason to switch to (manifolded) doubles is for redundancy. If you have a first stage free flow, you can shut down that tank valve but still access the gas in the tank through the other regulator. There are other good reasons but you only asked for one :)

twin tanks is an option. Double tanks require changes to your equipment set up. You'll need a second regulator to start.

There are ways to improve your gas consumption.
1. improve your buoyancy: Better buoyancy = less energy used = less gas consumed
2. focus on your breathing: Take long deep abdominal breaths, and don't skip breath. Shallow breathing builds up CO2. CO2 sends a message to your brain telling it that you need air. So, if you take long deep breaths, you'll actually consume less gas.
3. pay attention to your body temperature: Believe it or not, you can get cold even in warm water. So unless the water is the same temperature as your body, you are going to lose heat after a while. So next time you are diving, focus on how you are feeling. Even if you can tolerate the temperature, ask yourself "Are you a little cold"? If so, you are going to breath more. Try adding a vest or going with a warmer wetsuit.
4. how much are you moving? Are you zipping around the reef to see everything? If so, what's the hurry? Again, the more energy you use, the more gas consumed. Try slowing things down or taking a break to regain your breathing if you find yourself winded. You may see more wildlife too.
5. Finally, and maybe most importantly, how fit are you? If you are out of shape, you are going to get winded easy. So, hop on that treadmill next to me and we'll both do some cardio.

Good luck and happy diving!

For now, I would advise you don't throw equipment and money at a skill/comfort/experience deficit. Learn to be more efficient, get weighted properly, be streamlined, and relaxed first. Get 50 or so hours of bottom time, then see where things are.

I'm an air hog as well, my first things are getting more dives in as well as eventually getting a larger tank (Being 6'7 I'm gonna naturally have a higher SAC than most who I dive with that I have about a feet + on). If your like me a larger tank adds some bottom time as well as helping you trim out better.

Going further on relaxing during diving, it is amazing how much you can save on gas and gas consumption when properly weighted and relaxed. My OW cert dives I was getting around 20mins or so. I did 2 spring dives before heading back down to the Keys. Just by really taking the time to trim out, get properly weighted and relaxed I went from 20mins to about 25-30 mins per dive @ 35' in an AL80.

The two big reasons for using double tanks are to provide redundancy for dives where the surface is not a good option, and to provide adequate emergency reserves for deep or penetration dives, where those reserves are required. Doubles ARE obviously more gas . . . but to use them safely, you have to learn to cope with the increased complexity that comes with having two regulators and a manifold. Otherwise, you have just increased your chances of having a gear failure leave you out of gas.

As has already been mentioned, there are a lot of ways for a new diver to decrease the initial, horrendous gas consumption. (It's an almost universal issue!)

First off, get yourself properly weighted -- and it may take a few dives to sort this out. One of the problems with new divers is that their anxiety causes them to hold a LOT of air in their lungs, thus making them think they need a ton of weight to sink. Once they are underwater for a few minutes and begin to relax, it becomes clear that they are overweighted, because they have to inflate their BCs a lot to get neutral. This large air volume is difficult to manage, because especially on beginner dives which are shallow, even small changes in depth cause large changes in buoyancy, which results in constant adding and dumping of air. That's one of the reasons a weight check is often better done at the end of the dive, when the diver is more relaxed. Dropping the weight that a weight check tells you you can MAY result in what seems like some problems descending; better technique and breath control will eventually solve that.

Once you are properly weighted, the next thing is to try to distribute your weights so that you can hold a horizontal position in the water without much effort. If, as many people do, you put all your weight on a belt, it may more or less obligate you to float feet-down. In that position, if you kick, you drive yourself upward in the water column. When you notice this, you will vent your BC until you are negative enough not to rise -- but of course, you are then exerting a lot of your kicking effort just not to sink, and every movement you make is costing you some gas. When you can float in a horizontal position, than any movement of your fins will push you forward, which is what you want.

After you have solved the basic problems of weighting and trim, you can begin to work on reducing the amount that you move. Muscle effort generates carbon dioxide, and CO2 is the primary drive for breathing, so the more you exert yourself, the more volume you have to put through your lungs. There is no getting around that! At this point, you've gotten rid of the need to kick just to stay in place, but you may still be wasting effort if your kick is ineffective. Many new divers utilize a "bicycling" motion for kicking, which involves flexing and extending all the joints of the lower extremity -- hip as well as knee and ankle. This results in a lot of movement but not much propulsion. Learning to hold your body flat from the shoulders to the knees will result in transmitting a lot more force to the fins, whether you use a long-leg flutter-type kick, or whether you bend the knees and utilize a modified flutter or frog kick. In addition, you should work to stop the use of the hands. Instability, especially on the roll axis, often results in a lot of hand usage for new divers, and the hands are very inefficient tools underwater. It takes a lot of arm-waving to accomplish what one can do with a twitch of a fin!

In this same vein is overall slowing yourself down. Water has a lot of resistance, and it goes up exponentially with the speed at which you try to travel. Going fast on scuba is a LOT of work, and work generates CO2. In addition, many underwater animals survive through effective camouflage, so moving fast means you see less. A lot of new divers swim constantly and much too rapidly; some of that is due to instability in the water, because swimming can hide a lot of issues with buoyancy and balance. If you do the weighting and trim work, you won't need to do that, and you will be free to do more hovering and watching the world around you . . . which has the happy side effect of lowering your gas consumption (and the unhappy side effect that you get cold faster :) ).

In the process of accomplishing all of the above, you will probably have solved the final problem, which is the ineffective breathing pattern that new divers typically use. As I said above, the biggest thing driving the amount of air you have to breathe is the need to get rid of CO2. CO2 levels in the blood are directly related to the volume of gas that passes through the small air sacs in the lungs, but those air sacs lie at the end of a long distribution system of air passages that DON'T participate in gas exchange. All the air you move in and out of your trachea, for example, does nothing for your CO2 levels. So, if you breathe in short, shallow, rapid pants, you move a LOT of air, but do little to exhaust CO2. That is why you so often see people talk about a slow, deep breathing patterns for scuba. There is a lot of truth to this, but if you make your respirations TOO deep, you will find you have a lot of buoyancy issues, especially if you are a larger person. The ideal breathing pattern is one you should have gotten a bit of an idea of in your OW class, when you did the fin pivot or neutral buoyancy exercises. There is a pattern of breathing where you inhale slowly, and just as you begin to rise, you exhale. The rhythm is such that you go up and down only a couple of inches with your breathing -- this is the most efficient breathing pattern for diving. It is typically a bit slower and deeper than breathing on land, more like the breathing you might use for yoga or meditation, but it is not huge breaths.

I hope this information is useful for you. Mastering these ideas will not only reduce your gas consumption, but it will also help make you a more efficient and more comfortable diver.

Kinda what I figured, just dive more, assumed it wouldent hurt to ask tho. What is a good reason to go the doubles route?

A reasonable reason to go the doubles route might be if the people you normally dive with in the locations you normally dive (or aspire to dive) normally dive doubles. But if everyone else is using single tanks, and you are using doubles, then it is likely you don't really need doubles and would find them bothersome.

OP --with less than 25 dives you are still learning. so don't worry about doubles right now.
I'd take the advise offered earlier. Get your weighting correct so you aren't useing your BC so much to balance it.
The other thing that sounds small but is pretty huge is to relax.-Easy to say hard to do.
Right from before start of dive just chill. Do everything slowly.-Theres no hurry down there. Anybody that makes you feel rushed at all -just ignore them,

First, as a recent (OK, and current) airhog myself I agree with everything TSandM says above. And yet... some of the problem can be psychological. Everything else being equal, I found I used a lot less air diving with a 15l tank rather than a 12l. Just knowing I had "extra" air was enough in itself to lower my SAC rate, as I wasn't constantly obsessing and worrying. The other improvements then follow, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am thinking about doubles wondering if this is an addiquite Aproach to my mass air consumption problem. What would the approach to going doubles be. Do I need an Need bc, new regs? Is there training or is it just like a bigger tank?

I see TSandM already posted her longer version of this same advice, but I'll give you my "bulletized" version here as well.

• Dive more
  • Slow down
  • Get more comfortable in the water
  • Slow down
  • Get your weighting dialed in
  • Slow down
  • Get into horizontal trim
  • Slow down some more
  • Stop paddling with your hands
  • Slow down even more
  • Adopt more efficient kicking style
  • Did I mention slowing down?
  • You're still moving too fast. Slow down just a bit more

I have always been in favor of air hogs using small tanks and their buddy using larger ones.

Here is why:

1. Ok so the dive is a little shorter, big deal. Your air consumption will get better if you work on it.

2. In an OOA situation( probably going to be the air hog) if the air hog is wearing a 120 and the .5sac 90lb buddy is wearing an 80, the air hog isn't going to be near OOA until the buddy is lower on gas. The problem with this is that if the buddy with the smaller tank doesn't have a big reserve of gas, the air hog buddy is going to suck the smaller tank dry very quickly(2 divers breathing the tank). This could lead to 2 divers being OOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom