Air hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always been in favor of air hogs using small tanks and their buddy using larger ones.

Here is why:

1. Ok so the dive is a little shorter, big deal. Your air consumption will get better if you work on it.

2. In an OOA situation( probably going to be the air hog) if the air hog is wearing a 120 and the .5sac 90lb buddy is wearing an 80, the air hog isn't going to be near OOA until the buddy is lower on gas. The problem with this is that if the buddy with the smaller tank doesn't have a big reserve of gas, the air hog buddy is going to suck the smaller tank dry very quickly(2 divers breathing the tank). This could lead to 2 divers being OOA.

That's an interesting take, to say the least.

It is far more likely on deeper dives (70+fsw), but is a very realistic scenario. So realistic in fact that it has happened.

It is far more likely on deeper dives (70+fsw), but is a very realistic scenario. So realistic in fact that it has happened.

I presume this is to guard against some form of equipment failure / freeflow situation? Because otherwise it seems that even the most rudimentary dive planning and air awareness skills would cater for such eventualities. That said, what actual harm can it do? A buddy pair can never have too much air between them.:crafty:

Last edited:
Not really, but a newer diver with a bad sac rate will not be the "ideal" buddy. Lack of certain competences that make them air hogs also leads me to believe they lack situational awareness and the ability to multi task successfully. When a new diver becomes anxious or task loaded the first thing they generally forget is to check their air.

I'm an instructor. When I dive with advanced students on 115' wrecks I cave fill my LP121 and carry a stage. With my sac rate I can do deco on an AL80 at that depth. I carry the extra gas in case the students suck their tanks dry on the way down as stated by someone else earlier.
The problem with bad Sac divers using big tanks is that it gives them a false sense of security. They pay even less attention to their SPG in my experience, which makes LOA and OOA situations far more likely.

I don't have a problem with a new diver diving a larger tank, if he or she is not stressed by managing it on land. But the issue of gas reserves is real, and the diver with the smaller tank needs to consult frequently with the "gas hog" to make sure he is maintaining them adequately. In fact, ANYBODY diving with a brand new diver ought to keep pretty close track of that new diver's gas supply, at least until you know the person well enough to be sure that they are reliable about checking.

This is actually someplace where something like the new Lynx computer, with the transmitter that allows you to monitor your buddy's gas, would be quite comforting. I may eventually invest in one, simply because I really enjoy diving with new divers.

More working time... The deeper you go, the faster you go through your gas.... It's not a " I just want to hump these doubles to look cool " but a need for the extra gas for the dive planned... :wink:

Jim...

Think "YOGA" but underwater....
Yoga is actually a great idea, albeit on the surface. Many people don't know how to breathe properly from the diaphragm. Taking a yoga class will teach you proper, rhythmic relaxed breathing.

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I've gotten out once a week since the May 24 weekend and hopefully that will continue and possibly increase.

I'm 6'2" and 100kg, so I use a reasonable amount of air...although much less now than when I was new. I did all my recreational diving on AL80s. When I started working as a DM I bought a couple of 15lt 232bar steel tanks, so that I always had plenty of air to share when DMing.
It's not every dive that someone goes LOA, but it does happen (sometimes someone will go 90bar to 30bar on ascent in what seems like 2 minutes), and it's nice to know that I can share air rather than skipping a safety stop.

$800 seemed like a lot for something as boring as tanks, when I could get a shiny OLED computer for the same money, but it's great for trim, I carry less weight, and I'm more relaxed about my own air.

Pin

My recommendation is to take a freediving course and do a bit of freediving (with a buddy). You'll be forced to learn everything that consumes O2. Freedivers that learn to scuba dive typically have the lowest air consumption rates.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I just started diving this year and now have 25 dives. I was an airhog when I first started and now think I am an average air user. My experience was around my 15th dive I became aware of how I could fully open up my airway right from the bottom of my abdomen. I felt vulnerable breathing that way--if I inhaled any water there would be nothing stopping it. In retrospect, when I first started diving I was breathing in two steps. I sucked the air into my mouth and if there was no water I opened up my throat and allowed the air down my throat and into my lungs. I always had my throat half closed in case any water came in. Opening up my airway right from the bottom of my abdomen I had the thought that I had to fully commit to relying on my regulator. I learned that instead of sucking the air from my regulator I needed to pull the air from my abdomen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom