Air fill question:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eieio_24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wanting to see some opinions on hot fills vs. cold fills. I've always preferred having my tanks filled submerged and cool vs. a hot fill, as some shops do. One, I usually always leave with more air, and it also seems that it would be better for the tank. Anyone have an opinion or factual data on this ?

Slow cool fills always!....NO water tank baths for me. OMO

Why no water baths?

There IS always a chance of water entering the system/rare but is a risk,,has been shown that the amount of heat dissipated with the water tank bath is minimal, and if you fill at a slow rate you will 99% of the time get the target PSI fill you are looking for. Not to mention they are messy both for the shop/fill station. Again these are just a few reasons. And you still can get a hot fill even if the tank is filled in a water tube. I don't fill in a water bath.....and in all my years of diving I have only allowed it one time on a single. JMO

Quick fill, dry.

Less time for the metal of the tank to absorb the energy from the air.
The metal of the tank dissapates heat energy within the air.
Target is reached, less total heat, and less loss of pressure.

Filling dry with a fill rate of 300 to 500psi per minute as recommended by Professional Cylinder Inspectors: Wet Fills

People can show me all the numbers charts and links they want

But I notice when:

I fill the cylinder in the bed of my truck to 3600 then add for cool down the fill comes up short

vs

fill the cylinder in a water bath at the same rate then add a touch for going over and the fill comes out right

good enough for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom