Air Carriers Jakarta/Sorong/Jakarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Blues, do you arrive Jakarta Friday and fly back out the return on Sunday?

Luko,
actually I don't have major issues either with batavia and Merpati. However, when I live in Jakarta till 2005, in fact I'm Indonesian, I read from local newspaper reader complain of batavia more than others.
Where available, I will choose the first 3 in my list.
There's plenty of small airline in indonesia now, I hv no chance to experience all of them.
Merpati is given task to serve non profitable remote area; so i have more understanding if not always smooth, but as i mentioned my experience so far okay. Probably due to i traveled during local school holiday to not too remote area.

Mr. Blues, we flew from Jakarta to Sorong (via Makkasar) on Express Air in October. Express Air seemed fine: reasonably new Boeing 373, departed and arrived more or less on time, no trouble with out checked bags. Food served on the flight was a little funky but at least some of it was edible (this is what I expect on domestic Indonesian flights). All in all, no problems. We flew Express Air because our dive op strongly recommended them (and because the schedule worked for us).

Coming back, we flew on Lion Air from Sorong to Jogjakarta (via Ambon and Surabaya). Although I had previously flown on Lion Air a couple of time and found them to be fairly reliable, things didn't work out well for us this time: the first flight was an hour late, the second flight was later still, and that meant we missed our connecting flight from Surabaya to Jogja. Lion Air did put us on a later flight that night, which was probably OK - although this happened to take place right as Mt. Merapi was having a major eruption, which caused a cascade of problems for us (not the airline's fault or anyone else's, and hopefully not a consideration for you).

The Indonesian travel agent we used (and EVERYONE else) warned us away from Merpati. I'd consider them a last resort.

Although Express Air's website is broken and only partially functional, we found their flights to be reliable enough, and the folks at our resort urged us to use them, at least for the inbound flight.

Hope that helps. And good luck!

Frankly, when flying to remote regions like Sorong, it's hard to be picky about the flights. Lion Air, Express Air, Batavia Air, and Merpati all take you there, but they all basically only offer flights every other day. When you put into consideration your time of international arrival and wanting to get away from smoggy Jakarta asap, you're left with not many choices.

In my experience Merpati has been the least desirable flight due to delays and older planes. Unfortunately, sometimes it's the only option I have when flying domestically. All of the other ones are pretty good. Express Air between Jakarta-Sorong is good. None have roomy leg room unless you fly business. But none are as compact as my Jetstar flight in Vietnam and I digress.

Ps. Express Air's website is Mac friendly. Just make sure you browse with Safari and you'll actually get to see their flight schedules!!

Back
Top Bottom