Air Carriers Jakarta/Sorong/Jakarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Blues

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering what the collective wisdom is regarding Indonesian domestic air. (SMILE)
I've read most of previous posts and seems like everyone gets a bad rap.
Either there's no leg room, questionable food, late or missing baggage, always late
departures, etc., etc. I consider myself a seasoned traveler and expect this as part of traveling abroad. Just wondering what the LATEST feedback is as to what's hot and
what's not. If anything which airline to avoid at all costs! I've had bad luck with Merpati before and not very eager to fly them again.
Is it still a crap shoot?
Or is it similar to some people like MacDonalds and some like Wendy's?
I've tried to email some Indonesian travel agents and only a few have even responded and then there's the whole US credit card not being acceptable hassle.
I'll get something figured out, I always do. Just point me in the right direction.
Thanks for all replies.

Hi
Speaking about carriers landing Sorong, I traveled with Batavia Airlines this summer (though Sorong was not my destination), can't say anything against the company. We obviously had overweight luggage in Maumere, it simply went through with a smile.

The flight was "only" less than one hour late and their 737 took us to Bali via Kupang. No frills but nothing to complain about.
More over, we booked through local arrangements : Batavia was considered much more professional than Merpati, on which we were warned about their lack of reliability.

I think Lion air should be another option for Sorong too.

From what I know, Merpati is the worst. Batavia is not as bad. Lion Air was fine when I flew them, but you'll have to bring your own food & drink. Mandala just suspended all operations. Garuda is fine.

Probably your best bet is on Lion Air via Ambon.

Find a reliable agent to purchase your tickets through. Hopefully the liveaboard or land based operator you're hooking up with will help.
Some agents charge extortionate mark up booking fees.

Batavia is not as bad. Lion Air was fine ...Mandala just suspended all operations. Garuda is fine.
btw, if that can help assessing the airlines quality : the US & UE have put all indonesian carriers on the black list with the exception of Garuda, Batavia and Mandala, but the black list includes Merpati and Lion Air.

Whoa!!!! I just looked at Batavia's website again and saw a Paypal emblem.
I did a dummy booking and sure enough I got redirected to Paypal to pay for it! Very good news indeed.

They fly from Makassar (Unjung Padang) to Sorong. You would still need to get from Jakarta to Makassar with a different local carrier.

Now I try the fickle booking engine again and it allowed a Saturday booking from Jakarta to Sorong. It makes two stops .... Surabaya and Makassar. A red eye flight.

It doesn't seem to fly 7 days a week.

Cathay Pacific flies to Surabaya. That would save you a leg if you went with Batavia.

It can't be any worse of a city than Jakarta :)

I think Lionwing air has more options - they have 3 flights from Jakarta to Sorong every mon, wed and friday with stop/transit at ambon or Jakarta.

I'm quite often traveling in Indonesia - if i have to rate then my preference will be garuda, lion air, air asia indonesia, merpati and batavia. In the last 5 years, the major issues happen to me when air asia reschedule flight from KL to aceh to next day and bad weather in manado delayed silkair flight for 2 days (but in this case we're happy as we get extra holiday paid by them)
Frankly, I get more flight delay when travelling in europe rather than in Indonesia.
In 10 years, had been stranded at oslo, copenhagen, frankfurt, glasgow, and amsterdam for more than 12 hours mostly due to weather but 3 times due to technical problem.
But my worst experience was when traveling in US - 2x only, and both terrible.

I'm quite often traveling in Indonesia - if i have to rate then my preference will be garuda, lion air, air asia indonesia, merpati and batavia.
Can you pls elaborate, Wisnu?
Everytime I need domestic tickets in Indonesia, locals warn me against Merpati.. it seems Merpati has the worst record for canceling or rescheduling flights.
I have to take Batavia to Ambon, haven't had any problems with them for the moment : have you already experienced some?

I think Lionwing air has more options - they have 3 flights from Jakarta to Sorong every mon, wed and friday with stop/transit at ambon or Jakarta.

I'm quite often traveling in Indonesia -

What's your take on Express Air? I need to get from Jakarta to Sorong on Saturday and return. However I am told they don't open up their reservations until Feb.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom