Air bubbles in the oil........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not familiar with the Corena oil, heard of it, but always used ChemLube 751. What's the weight of the Corena? It's looks to be a 1995 year model/ Mod 7 block. What are your interstage pressures for the 1st,2nd, and third stage say when 4th stage/final pressure is around 3000 psi? I checked mine for some of the symptoms you're having trying to come up with a helpful suggestion. By now I'm sure you will welcome any new ideas that might help.

Not familiar with the Corena oil, heard of it, but always used ChemLube 751. What's the weight of the Corena? It's looks to be a 1995 year model/ Mod 7 block. What are your interstage pressures for the 1st,2nd, and third stage say when 4th stage/final pressure is around 3000 psi? I checked mine for some of the symptoms you're having trying to come up with a helpful suggestion. By now I'm sure you will welcome any new ideas that might help.

Unfortunately, unlike the other unit this one is older and dosnt have interstage pressure gauges for the 3 first stages, only the fourth one, but I guess I can install some and check?

As you rightly say, I am grasping at straws now, any suggestion is welcome. My next check is to see if air is not been forced between the liner and the sleeve past the o-ring and into the oil due to an imperfection in the sleeve or perhaps pitting, this unit runs in quite adverse conditions, ( outside temps are hot - 40 degrees C is common.)

Yes correct it is a 95 block driven by a 10 hp electric motor (used to :depressed:) pump to 300 bar.

I wonder are there any thoughts on the Oil weight theory? Corena seems highly recommended by Bauer.?

If it's 40 weight oil and recommended by Bauer I couldn't see where that should be a concern. Reason I asked about the interstage pressures is if there is something wrong with a cylinder lots of times the pressure will be affected. I had a piece of teflon tape that got hung in an exhaust valve one time but it affected the next stage pressure instead of the one it was hung in. I know that doesn't relate to bubbles in the oil but consistent pressures are the first thing I check with mine. Still thinking........:confused:

Hi widget,

My block is a 94/07 similar to yours with slightly over 3,700 hours on it, so I have a vested interest in resolving this problem for future reference.

I was also going to suggest that you very carefully check the 4th stage upper cylinder, especially around the two mating surfaces of the cylinder and the head for scratches or hairline cracks and also the wide recess in the top of the cylinder where the piston and sleeve assembly sit for excessive play as this would cause blow by.
Also check around the two bolt holes that locate the oil regulator to the cylinder for hairline stress cracking.

The fact that your piston/sleeve assembly was seized, suggests a heat / warping situation brought on by either lubrication or excessive play problems in the cylinder. So just maybe, you are up for a new cylinder as well. My compressor has a temperature sensor on the 4th stage which shuts it down if overheating should occur.

My pressures are as follows:
No 1. 3.5 bar
No 2. 20 bar
No 3. 62 bar
No 4. 350 bar
Oil Pressure 60 bar
I also use Corena 150 oil
Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like we are getting somewhere at last. The "*#$$%$#" cylinder appears to be the problem. We took the cylinder off the other machine and put the "original" piston and sleeve in and it worked fine.Nary a bubble to be seen.!

I nearly did a cartwheel.!:D

On looking at the cylinder we "think" that the lip on which the liner rests has been damaged somehow - as its a static liner, its a mystery, maybe when the piston siezed it caused the liner to be moved and damage the lip, I dont know, but on "VERY" close inspection it had a distinct burr and looked gouged,-unless you sat and looked carefully for it, its not something you will "just see" - well we didnt anyway, we think this caused the liner to be sitting slighlty "off" or have a miniscule amount of movement even when the head was was tightened down, - so we sent the cylinder to have the "lip" machined straight and the top of the cylinder "skimmed" by an equal amount - we are talking very small amounts here, a few thou I would guess.

Bauer did not have a spare cylinder so this is all I can do. Believe me, it took the best part of the day tuesday to decide what to do, I could get a generic cylinder, - what is your opinion on this, are they of the same quality as the genuine Bauer product?? - I didnt know and wasnt prepared to chance it, so I went the machineing route.

If it all works out I can order a new cylinder and if it takes a month or two to arrive its not an issue.

I will get it re-assembled tomorrow and see - Boy, am I hoping...........!

Congrats to you. We need to acknowledge Craig and namreg who were on the right track with this.

Hopefully, in lowering the liner, the head clearance space will not be a problem. I think I would have trued the upper cylinder lip and put a copper gasket under the liner. Then again, a few thousandths might not create a problem.

Well, chaps, we have a conclusion.

It was the cylinder after all that, reassembled the unit today, switched on and all is well, PUMPING LIKE NEVER BEFORE and not a bubble in sight.!:D

So as per the attahed picture I thought I would put my feet up and enjoy a beer in honour of all the guys here who helped getting this project finished, special thanks, and an "extra" beer go to Pescador, Craig, Namreg, windyairman and 2dogs - thanks fellas for sticking it out with me.:D

Sorry its a "light" beer fellas, but its not yet knock off time.!!:wink:

Attachments

• 14112008.jpg
    14112008.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 153
Light beer
Think you may have gone to champagne after all the trouble you had.

How about you draw a sectional view of the cylinder & sleeve and O rings
show damaged lip.
Then post it may help some one in the future

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom