AI with doubles (non-overhead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The picture of the doubles posted above is wonky. Left reg should be rotated 90 anti clockwise with the 5th port pointed in. It allows the turret to swivel up with the long hose when donated, down when stowed normally. Aside from some regs with only one HP port, most will allow you to mount from the bottom facing HP port keeping the transmitter protected, or pointing an extra SPG down and streamlined.

A problem we've been running into with thick gloves is its easy to grab the transmitter when going for the valve when in the traditional configuration. Haven't had any issues practicing long hose sharing in wrecks but it would/does stick out just a hair more than the traditional way.

A problem we've been running into with thick gloves is its easy to grab the transmitter when going for the valve when in the traditional configuration. Haven't had any issues practicing long hose sharing in wrecks but it would/does stick out just a hair more than the traditional way.

Like you’re grabbing the 45 degree downward pointing transmitter instead of the valve? I’m trying to visualize the scenario and coming up short. Only difference when rigged normally is that it would be pointed out and down instead of in and down.

If you’re talking about the transmitter sticking up, just put it on the other, down facing, HP port.

For sure I’m missing something. Got a picture of the issue?

Connecting the transmitter with a short hp hose to the down facing HP port and then routing it with a bungee in front of the cylinder neck solves that.
But as @JohnnyC said, I doubt there are any real problems when connecting directly. Using a hose is just cleaner and less obtrusive. Less dirsplaining to take.

Anyone here use AI with BM doubles? Question is for non-overhead diving, so no caves or wreck penetration.

When I mentioned to several local doubles divers that I wasn’t planning on giving up AI with doubles, I got eye rolls and “Are you nuts?”
Like others, I use AI on right post and SPG on left. I have a Perdix AI. I have another buddy running two transmitters and two Perdix AI computers, no SPG. Both computers are showing both transmitters.

not sure why people are so hung up about what side the spg is on ?
SPG left and computer right is easier when driving a DPV. Not hung up, just practical.

I have nothing against AI except for cost :( Fitting AI to backmount and stages can get costly. Besides that, switching during bottle rotation seems cumbersome and distracting to me. So for me: no need for AI, but certainly nothing against it. While rec diving I think it's a bonus.

I dive with one and a spg as well. Nobody has ever said anything negative to me about it.

AJ:
SPG left and computer right is easier when driving a DPV. Not hung up, just practical.

I have nothing against AI except for cost :( Fitting AI to backmount and stages can get costly. Besides that, switching during bottle rotation seems cumbersome and distracting to me. So for me: no need for AI, but certainly nothing against it. While rec diving I think it's a bonus.

Stages, no.

Like you’re grabbing the 45 degree downward pointing transmitter instead of the valve? I’m trying to visualize the scenario and coming up short. Only difference when rigged normally is that it would be pointed out and down instead of in and down.

Hopefully the pics uploaded correctly. I totally get what you're saying and have dived that previously. For me and my comfort level I don't want anything that feels remotely like a valve handle near it when I don't have much tactile sensitivity. I have short t rex arms and little flexibility so I'm generally reaching for my valves via riding up my collar bone. I was hitting the transmitter first.
@taimen - the short hose is a solution and one I considered, I just ended up being happy with this solution and it hasn't given me any problems other than 'looking different' but I know other people are happy with the short hose and it works perfectly well.

Normal:
traditional.jpg

Me:
different.jpg

I see no problem with the 2nd pic . first one yeah , like pete I would NOT have a problem with a student running both left or right , the rest is just noise

I just ended up being happy with this solution and it hasn't given me any problems other than 'looking different' but I know other people are happy with the short hose and it works perfectly well.

Left reg should be rotated 90 anti clockwise with the 5th port pointed in. It allows the turret to swivel up with the long hose when donated, down when stowed normally.

What @JohnnyC said. Pic number 1 configuration is probably better when donating gas swimming in single file.
Someone could also point out that in that case there is also a remote possibility for the longhose getting entangled around the transmitter when turret rotates. Once again solved by routing the transmitter clear with a short hose.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom