• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

AI VS SPG Debate Split Off from Regulator Setup Thread

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches & Analyzers' started by Scuba Client, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I wouldn't trust a transmitter nor would I trust a button SPG to be accurate.

2. Mike1967

Mike1967 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    What transmitter failures have you had to justify that statement?

LiteWeight likes this.
  3. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

None, but in technical diving it's frowned upon (maybe on a CCR it's ok). At depth I want to know exactly how much gas I have left. Relying on electronics is throwing all your eggs in one basket.

4. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

How do you see your surroundings and your gauges at depth? How do you know your SPG is accurate and calibrated? What happens if the needle is stuck? Do you have a backup? Are you diving tables? What about your bottom timer?

rhwestfall likes this.
  5. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

Divers under stress may only see the depth on their computer. I have a timer and wetnotes. I have 2 or 3-lights if needed. If my needles sticks ( I know I forgot to open the isolation valve). I know my SPG is accurate from the moment it is connected to the tank, and at depth the needle is moving down. If my computer failed, I know my turn pressure on the SPG. I also sync with my buddie's computer.

6. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Both electronic or mechanical devices do malfunction for various reasons.
    How much redundancy one can carry to cope with the possible event is debatable.
    I once asked an commercial airline pilot about the accuracy of the gauges inside the cockpit. He just said he has to trust them because there is no reason not to.
    AI or spg? I only have experience with spg and see no reason to alter my view on this device. Others have different idea but that is none of my business.

Scuba Client likes this.
  7. Mike1967

Mike1967 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Maybe once apon a time. I recently done Advanced Nitrox and Helitrox with one of the top Tech instructors in Australia with nothing but AI.

8. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I did cavern/intro to cave a few months back with a well regarded Midwestern instructor. Transmitters only for SM was no problem. Had a classmate who did the same.

Under the Jungle in Tulum (MX) allows the option of transmitters only (a friend trained there and we compared class gear requirements).

9. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Back gas only or deco tank(s) as well?
    So 3 transmitters( 2 for deco tanks)! A bit expensive.

10. jakehbk

jakehbk Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I agree that relying only on a transmitter is not a great idea. Weird stuff can happen with electronics, the battery might go bad and you don't have a spare or tools on hand to change it, etc.

SPGs, button or full size are only so accurate. Especially at the ends of the gauge.

I'd argue that in this day and age a transmitter is no more unreliable then any other piece of kit, and possibly more accurate the full pressure drop of a tank than an SPG

Bob DBF likes this.