AI VS SPG Debate Split Off from Regulator Setup Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that relying only on a transmitter is not a great idea. Weird stuff can happen with electronics, the battery might go bad and you don't have a spare or tools on hand to change it, etc.

SPGs, button or full size are only so accurate. Especially at the ends of the gauge.

I'd argue that in this day and age a transmitter is no more unreliable then any other piece of kit, and possibly more accurate the full pressure drop of a tank than an SPG
What are the disadvantages of having transmitters on all your tanks?

Maybe once apon a time. I recently done Advanced Nitrox and Helitrox with one of the top Tech instructors in Australia with nothing but AI.
How do you define top technical instructors? Have you considered a battery failure on your computer would intensify not one problem but many if you had transmitters on every deco/stage/back gas tank.

I did cavern/intro to cave a few months back with a well regarded Midwestern instructor. Transmitters only for SM was no problem. Had a classmate who did the same.

Under the Jungle in Tulum (MX) allows the option of transmitters only (a friend trained there and we compared class gear requirements).
Using a transmitter in shallow caves may not be a problem, but in regards to entanglement/gas management/overall cost/damage, I will settle for a reliable SPG.

Using a transmitter in shallow caves may not be a problem, but in regards to entanglement/gas management/overall cost/damage, I will settle for a reliable SPG.

You do you. Some of us like our technology.

Rubens Monaco
He's well known. But how do you justify that statement since you only did an Advanced Nitrox course which is academic. The majority of the course was learnt in the Nitrox Diver course. The other problem, people suffer from xenophobia and don't trust foreign divers to train them. Just like shoppers are brainwashed into buying name brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom