AI versus hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie,

Speaking only from personal experience, and not having anything in particular to do with Cozumel,

Some ''pay as you play'' hotels are not as inexpensive as they first appear, because every time you turn around , someone is asking for your credit card.

As an example, a few years ago, I paid over $1000. for four of us to have dinner...and it wasn't anything close to lobster/caviar and Dom.

By the end of the trip, when all the credit card receipts were tallied, Sandals, would have been less expensive. Your dives alone at a ''hotel'' could be well over $100 US per outing per person. Where at Sandals, your two tank morning, two tank afternoon and often night dive(s) are all included, as is NITROX.

Up front costs are always better than ''continual extras'' and not necessarily ''more'' expensive.

LOL,

Rose
Well if we stay in town at a boutique hotel, B&B, we would pay for the the stay separately. Eating out at local restaurants we would pay each time we had the meal, not sure about the "tally" of meals. Perhaps you are thinking of situations where you would stay at a hotel and eat the meals there, and charged separately? I guess I'm confused!

Yeah, at Cieleto (closed when this pic was taken as at night there will be tables set up all under the awnings) order 1 pork shank and ask for a 2nd plate as it is more than enough for 2. Give the left over shank to one of the local dogs that will be working their rounds after dark and coming to visit ya if ya sit outside. Casa Cuz's second story thatched roof is just to the to the right. Another great place, especially during Covid as you can walk upstairs, pick a table, turn on all the ceiling fans ya want and dine in the open air. This is 1 block from the Casa Mexicana and Tres Pelicano's dive shop.

Geeze, it's only been a little more than a month and I want to go back already.

View attachment 640686

deepsea,

Pork shank and feral dogs, sounds lovely.

Rose.

As an example, a few years ago, I paid over $1000. for four of us to have dinner...and it wasn't anything close to lobster/caviar and Dom.

Your dives alone at a ''hotel'' could be well over $100 US per outing per person.

if you were charged $1000 usd for a meal for four people then you literally got robbed

not sure who you dive with on coz but the only vacation location i even came close to paying $100/day for two dives was in st maarten. maybe with the whole covid situation we may see some hefty price increases though.

if you were charged $1000 usd for a meal for four people then you literally got robbed

not sure who you dive with on coz but the only vacation location i even came close to paying $100/day for two dives was in st maarten. maybe with the whole covid situation we may see some hefty price increases though.

To paraphrase an old island saying: "There's no such thing as a $1000 dinner, just $1000 gringos".

To paraphrase an old island saying: "There's no such thing as a $1000 dinner, just $1000 gringos".

haha i have paid 1000mxn for four people. and it was a very good meal.

And I don't understand the "tally" at the end of the stay comment? If you are staying at an AI, then the meals are included. If you are staying in town or not at an AI, then you would pay for meals separately as you have them. Unless maybe at some hotel where you could charge meals as you go along. I would not do that.

And I don't understand the "tally" at the end of the stay comment? If you are staying at an AI, then the meals are included. If you are staying in town or not at an AI, then you would pay for meals separately as you have them. Unless maybe at some hotel where you could charge meals as you go along. I would not do that.

i assumed they just meant the total spent by the end of the stay. not that it was on a tab or anything.

i assumed they just meant the total spent by the end of the stay. not that it was on a tab or anything.
Yes that could be. I guess I would be monitoring more closely what I'm spending? Another reason I've been getting recommendations on this forum for restaurants, mostly in town and not higher-end expensive ones. We would probably go out one night for a "nice" dinner but other than that, tacos and such are fine!

I do a lot of research before any trip so I have a really good estimate of costs. We've been on a couple of cruises and I was within $10-20 of what I figured/planned on us spending. Of course, it is probably much easier when it is just the two of us and not a family with children etc., easier to keep track of spending.

I have always paid in pesos, until my accountant friend said to use my cc and ask for the bill to be paid in pesos. That way I got miles and a record of all dining

I have always paid in pesos, until my accountant friend said to use my cc and ask for the bill to be paid in pesos. That way I got miles and a record of all dining

i would say it depends on the exchange rate your card gives you. miles are nice to accumulate but not at the expense of paying more for things than you should.

i prefer using cash when i can. much easier to keep track if on a budget (which i always am). can't spend what you don't have right ? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom