AI versus hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but want to get your opinions on staying at all inclusive versus hotel. My husband and I are thinking of going to Coz in Aug or Sept, depending on how things go with "Rhona" and would be staying 7 or 8 nights.

We are experienced divers. Not as interested in super long dives of 80+ minutes that many people love, but 60 min is fine. Would like to do a 2-tank morning and then an afternoon dive on most days, leaving one afternoon free to explore/relax. We dove with Aldora previously, and they were good. But I think I'd rather do two morning dives, go back for lunch, and then out for afternoon dive.

So....would it be easier staying at an AL in order to get lunch quick and back out for an afternoon dive (for example diving with Salty Endeavors which picks up from some of the hotels/AL)? Or is there time to get lunch in town.

Just looking for the easiest way to get in lots of dives without the need to race around trying to find a place to have lunch in time for afternoon dive.

Salty Endeavors has many many places listed on their website for recommendations for both AL and hotels. It is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks!~

I go in March and this time I did AI. For me it's just easier to manage diving and food. But, I go to dive and I take my sons, 20 and 16 with me and we don't really care about food to much, just need something to eat. Plus I get the 2 morning and afternoon dive, plus some night dives. This time we are staying at Hotel Cozumel and since this is my kids first blue water dive I used the onsite which is Dive Paradise, big boat.

Hey, you mean "AI" right? All Inclusive. I’ve gone both ways. When it was AI, we stayed at Occidental. If you don’t care to explore the town and try lots of restaurants and a 15 minute boat ride is important, then AI is probably a great choice. My wife loves having everything taken care of.

I go in March and this time I did AI. For me it's just easier to manage diving and food. But, I go to dive and I take my sons, 20 and 16 with me and we don't really care about food to much, just need something to eat. Plus I get the 2 morning and afternoon dive, plus some night dives. This time we are staying at Hotel Cozumel and since this is my kids first blue water dive I used the onsite which is Dive Paradise, big boat.
Thank you longhorndvr. Have you stayed at Dive Paradise before? I agree that for us, we go places like this to dive and I can get my fill of exploring town etc. in one afternoon.

I don't want to cook dinner on vacation, neither does my husband. Breakfast is easy, just something quick like eggs and toast or oatmeal. And coffee of course. Lunch is fun to have in town, if time permits, and I'm guessing Salty Endeavors and others will drop you off in town and you can have lunch and then go back out for afternoon dives.

Dinners I would rather eat where I'm staying if possible. Just easier, no need to drive into town, conversations on where do you want to have dinner, find a place to park, wait for dinner, etc.

Hey, you mean "AI" right? All Inclusive. I’ve gone both ways. When it was AI, we stayed at Occidental. If you don’t care to explore the town and try lots of restaurants and a 15 minute boat ride is important, then AI is probably a great choice. My wife loves having everything taken care of.
Oh geez. Yes I mean AI. Sorry about that. I'm a nurse case manager and was reviewing the case of a member who is in an AL (assisted living). I need a vacation and to go diving.

Thank you longhorndvr. Have you stayed at Dive Paradise before?
Dive Paradise is a dive op, not a hotel or resort. It is somewhat connected to Hotel Cozumel; is that what you mean?

Yes I am with your wife. I love to dive, and we try to do liveaboards as much as possible but as you probably know they are expensive. Part of what I love? Everything is taken care of, like you say, and you can't get easier for diving. No lugging equipment around, no setting tanks back up. Just walk from your cabin to the dive deck and step off the back (or get in the tender). Come back, eat, and go back out. Repeat up to 5x daily, go to bed and repeat.

For the shortest ride to dive sites Iberostar is great. I don’t care for AI but for what your looking for it would be perfect.

Dive Paradise is a dive op, not a hotel or resort. It is somewhat connected to Hotel Cozumel; is that what you mean?
Yes sorry meant Hotel Cozumel. That is in town, isn't it? So kind of the best of both? Can eat there when it is easier, and walk around town when time permits for a meal?

Yes I am with your wife. I love to dive, and we try to do liveaboards as much as possible but as you probably know they are expensive. Part of what I love? Everything is taken care of, like you say, and you can't get easier for diving. No lugging equipment around, no setting tanks back up. Just walk from your cabin to the dive deck and step off the back (or get in the tender). Come back, eat, and go back out. Repeat up to 5x daily, go to bed and repeat.
There are many in both camps (AI and not AI) on this forum; I am among the not AI. I enjoy the culinary variety that is to be had in the many great restaurants in town and I don't mind dealing with my own gear or having 30 minute boat rides. No matter where you stay you will not typically get in 5 dives per day.

FWIW, most if not all dive ops will set up your gear for you on the boat no matter where you are staying. And BTW if Hotel Cozumel is one of the places you are considering, the boat rides from there are as long or longer compared to most of the other hotels/resorts on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom