Ahhhhh…..the most controversial of subjects: snorkels (lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has any body ever actually said that, other than in jest?
I’m not sure if anyone has ever said that it would kill you, but I’ve certainly seen people say it is dangerous or could cause problems for divers and that you shouldn’t use one because of that.

I’m sensitive to the subject because I read on this site that I shouldn’t use one, and have ended up in at least one situation where I didn’t have one and wished I did. And at that moment I thought, what was my reason for not bringing it again?

I’ve certainly seen people say it is dangerous or could cause problems for divers
Many SB posters use a primary donate setup where a snorkel could interfere with air sharing. It's also another piece that could be caught on a line or similar. (I've personally seen divers lose masks going under the tag line trailing behind a boat.)

Like any equipment, take it if you have a need for it; if not, then leave it behind. If you do need take it, know how to work around any issues it might present.

I’m not sure if anyone has ever said that it would kill you, but I’ve certainly seen people say it is dangerous or could cause problems for divers and that you shouldn’t use one because of that.

I’m sensitive to the subject because I read on this site that I shouldn’t use one, and have ended up in at least one situation where I didn’t have one and wished I did. And at that moment I thought, what was my reason for not bringing it again?
I think you’re right I’ve read lots of silly reasons for not bringing a snorkel or using one, the most ridiculous is there an entanglement hazard. I think that’s because some people attach it to the mask, I definitely wouldn’t do that, just slip it under the strap when on the surface.I always bring one. You may actually never need one but I’ve been glad I had one lots of times. Anyone who has dived Ireland,s coast will know why.

Reactions: BRT
I tell my students that they need a snorkel for training. After that, it's likely that it will stay in their bag 99% of the time like mine does.

I tell my students that they need a snorkel for training. After that, it's likely that it will stay in their bag 99% of the time like mine does.
That 1% comes in handy. I recall one time while sitting on the boat during a surface interval a whale shark showed up next to us, and everyone with a snorkel jumped in to take a look. I didn't have a snorkel.

NAUI doesn't require training to include snorkel use? That shocks me honestly, because if true that means their training does not conform to ISO standards as ISO 24801 requires that autonomous diver training standards include:

As well as the same skills done in OW training as well.

In addition to ISO standards, it would mean their training doesn't meet WRSTC standards either.
Many OW classes don't meet RSTC standards for a number of reasons. ISO and RSTC standards are actually not standards. They are guidelines. Standards violations have consequences.
ISO and RSTC standards were written by agencies to keep gov't out of regulating the industry by creating the illusion of rules that had to be followed. They were not written by independent 3rd parties with actual prescribed penalties for violations. And for a long time NAUI was not a member of the WRSTC.
Classes are held and completed daily that do not result in diver's with the required knowledge and skills. Yet nothing is done unless someone is killed.
Then the instructor is hung out to dry without the agency that created the conditions for that instructor to suffer anything except financial penalties.
If they were actually standards the agencies would be sanctioned or removed from the RSTC and WRSTC. Any member of the WRSTC can object to any action by the majority of members and nothing will happen to them and the issue or change is dropped and forgotten.

That 1% comes in handy. I recall one time while sitting on the boat during a surface interval a whale shark showed up next to us, and everyone with a snorkel jumped in to take a look. I didn't have a snorkel.
Why would you need a snorkel to look at a whale shark? Mask should be enough.

I don't know what the actual snorkel related fatality rate is (SRFR), but i can think of a number of downsides to having the snorkel strapped to the side of your mask while in the process of scuba diving. For example, acting as a drag on your mask when swimming or in current, or entanglement. That last one is probably not that common, since people who dive wrecks with entanglement hazards probably don't wear snorkels during the dive.

The main safety issue that I can see would be for a new or panicked diver, mistaking it for an alternate air source (especially for those who use the Air II - another controversy thread). It's a mouthpiece right next to your mouth.

I can think of a few rare situations where I might want one on the surface, and I would take a snorkel with me on those occasions, not on every dive. I can think of no reason why you would strap one to your mask. You will never see a working dive pro doing that unless they are teaching a course that requires it.

I carry an SMB on most ocean dives for safety reasons, but I don't tie it to the side of my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom