Ahe Dive Resort, Cenderawasih Bay (long review)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@askkang I think your points are quite valid and i think my conclusion posted before is about right.

Remote beautiful beach Island.handful of divers,reasonable diving and wonderful whale shark moments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be going there and i can't wait for all the reasons above,of course because of the whalesharks won it for me and the remote beautiful island and handful of divers.The area has been over fished and will need time to recover.

I do strongly agrree with Maddacub that there needs to be good leadership from a diving point of view and with the greatest respect to the Owner who is not a diver.This will help things greatly for him and the dive team and the dive team need a leader in this area to improvr them and take pressure away from them.

can you give me more details of the reefs and corals,again did you find them nicer around Ahe or what other area.islands etc..do you dive around most of the islands in the areas.

Also it's mentioned trips further away needing overnight in the boat can be planned,do you know anything of this.

The island also seems to have resident dolphins and turtle nesting and hatching,not sure what time of year this happens.

@TWIME
Do agree with you and Maddacub that more need to be done in term of Dive Management.
The Manager is a retired Dutch guy, who have settled down there, for good.
In the early days, they were assisted by Scuba Sign Foundation.
I think the Resort will definitely improves in time to come as they started with 3 rooms (6 divers) and now up to 6 rooms (12 divers)
It is not easy to run a sustainable dive operations for max of 6 divers but now with 10-12 divers, they are able to channel some of their
revenues back to the Dive Operations i.e. with the new Dive Boat and hopefully, in the coming months, a second compressor, more tanks etc.

The corals on Ahe Island and surrounding islands are in a very good condition. Even in the house reef, you can see big sea fans.
From my personal experience, I find the diving just around Ahe Island itself is better than the nearby islands.
But then again, its a huge area, I didn't get to dive at all the dive sites or surrounding islands.
Hope to dive in different dive sites when I go back there this November.

We did saw a huge pod of dolphins near Ahe island (10-15 minutes away) and the boatman told us they do see the dolphins regularly.
The pod is quite huge, easily above hundred of them but they are very shy. We tried to get into the water to snorkel with them but they
disappear very quickly to show up several hundred metres away.

We do see hawksbill turtles on most dives, not many, but just 1-2 during one dive. They are very shy and not used to divers and swim
away quickly as divers approach. The locals says there are turtles coming up to lay eggs on Ahe Island and other surrounding islands but
they do not know or keep record of when its the season. I think with more education, they will be more aware to keep track of this.

I hope in my coming trip in November, to explore more of the surrounding Islands and also to share with the local Divemasters
the expectation of Divers going there and what are the things that would interest them aside from the Whale Sharks.

@TWIME
I hope in my coming trip in November, to explore more of the surrounding Islands and also to share with the local Divemasters
the expectation of Divers going there and what are the things that would interest them aside from the Whale Sharks.

Thanks, Askkang. That would be very useful.

@askkang/Madacub thanks i have built up quite a lot regarding the area and spoke to a expert i know who checked this area out sometime ok and will see him when i am in Bali also i looked at a map at possible current flows around these islands.i Always get my expectations right when i get to a new or unknown information wise area.Madacub points are valid but in a way we must not try to be too much negative on this place.I am very sure i am going to have a great time there apart from the great moments with the whalesharks.Also with the speed boat this is going to add a lot more possible things to do and it is not too far from the north area which is top class.

I will also put my input and experience to them when i am there.

@xariatay - the furry animal is called kous-kous, locally. Its a nocturnal animal that comes out during night falls.
They are rather shy, but the locals will gladly take you to look for them at night, with torchlights.
Enjoy your trip there!

@xariatay - the furry animal is called kous-kous, locally. Its a nocturnal animal that comes out during night falls.
They are rather shy, but the locals will gladly take you to look for them at night, with torchlights.
Enjoy your trip there!

Thanks for the info!
Haven't fixed a date... :chuckle:

Has anyone been there in mid-Nov? I'm thinking of going there that month due to some left-over leave I have to clear. Is that a good time to go? When is the monsoon season for that area? Any good info much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom